Overtakes - Just because you can. does it

All too familiar lol !

i really admire those people have that heightened situation awareness; I know people are trained, but still there’s some natural ability to it. I also get worried by all the people who seem to be totally oblivious.

Saw some bad examples of overtaking / filtering this morning. Personally I always try to not affect the traffic as I filter.

There must be something in the air today, I saw an unusually high number of organ donors as well.

One jumping an island on a red light, then jumping another red light in front…

i really admire those people have that heightened situation awareness; I know people are trained, but still there's some natural ability to it.
Abzero
Rusty99, do people fail for good Class1 or are they trained till they pass?

I probably overtake too fast for some people's liking, but I always go high and wide when I can, precisely because of the number of twats you get just stepping/cycling/riding their scooters out from positions where they cannot see what they are stepping in to - if I'm over by the opposite kerb, I have a fantastic viewpoint of their idiotry before it affects me. Bobzilla
Thats adding "margin for error". 
Break that down - by increasing your view (and other peoples view of you if they care to look) you're gathering information, right? By having that info you can decide if you need to give information if someone is there to receive it - like hooting or flashing your lights. Then you can plan whether to speed up or....God forbid it, slow down, move left or right. So there's a logic here Bobzilla, you have an "Information Phase", then a "Planning Phase". Rusty99, does this sound at all familiar and like Bobzilla has been reading The Good Book? :-) SneakyMcC

I’m a student of Roadcraft, having done IAM 15 years ago.  I gave up after getting criticised a few too many times for being ‘too progressive’, and quite easily keeping up with Blackbirds on a ZZR600 because I had the SGA bit of it nailed quite well being a London rider.  :D

I can tell!

i really admire those people have that heightened situation awareness; I know people are trained, but still there's some natural ability to it. Abzero
Rusty99, do people fail for good Class1 or are they trained till they pass?
SneakyMcC
Fail.....

+2 to Sneaky for your words of advice to the newbie.

I’ve just got back from British Columbia, Canada, where my friend let me ride his Hornet. With a very good road infra structure, I’m surprised that filtering is not allowed. It’s be much safer to do there too, as the roads and lanes on them, are quite wide.

+2 to Sneaky for your words of advice to the newbie. Aceman
You mean to the Kawasaki rider or Alba? ;-)

Talking of advice, I still refer from time to time to threads started by a fella called Giles (Lamb?). I gather Giles is the other forum’s T.C. I’m not sure if you need to be registered?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/247925-Positioning

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/251104-Overtaking

These are becoming dated but still very relevant.

This is one of Giles’s images, an everyday scene. The obvious hazards are will the trucks pull out, a bit of oncoming traffic and leafs on the ground? But Giles goes on - what cant be seen, is there something behind the truck or behind the van on the right? Of course that Rusty99 and Bobzilla know to expect an excellent view underneath all the vehicles in the pic because these vehicles are on top of the hills crest.

These’s some very clever stuff in this Advanced Motoring…apparently?

Attachments

This is one of Giles's images, an everyday scene. The obvious hazards are will the trucks pull out, a bit of oncoming traffic and leafs on the ground? But Giles goes on - what cant be seen, is there something behind the truck or behind the van on the right? Of course that Rusty99 and Bobzilla know to expect an excellent view underneath all the vehicles in the pic because these vehicles are on top of the hills crest.
These's some very clever stuff in this Advanced Motoring...apparently?
SneakyMcC
One of the reasons I hate SUVs, 'off road estates' (X3/5, Q5/7, XC70/90 etc), US style trucks (Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi L200 etc).  You can't get a decent view through them because the bodywork rather than windows are at head height.  Hate them, and they're possibly dangerous, at least from my perspective.

Plus petrol station and a load of paint on the road 

Expensive petrol too

That’s seriously good hazard perception! :sunglasses:

Giles has some great advice on about 5 threads on the site. Must have taken a while to compile. Shame that most of those with the compulsion to read them will be the ones that have already done the extra training. Those that need it most won’t be interested.

Sunlight into the corner can also temporarily dazzle you.  You have to slow down, offside a bit and then see what is happening around the truck whilst looking for diesel spills and avoiding the car turning across the junction.  Expensive petrol has a benefit, fewer people on the roads…

Or just go out in a fireball of glory…

There is offer on now, £50 off for IAMhttps://www.iamroadsmart.com/countryroads

Anyone used or currently at ELAM?  http://elam.org.uk/who-are-elam/

There is offer on now, £50 off for IAMhttps://www.iamroadsmart.com/countryroads
Anyone used or currently at ELAM?  http://elam.org.uk/who-are-elam/
motodrb
That offer only runs for 2 weeks, so if anyone is thinking of doing their IAM, I'd pull your finger out and take advantage of the low price.   

Would love to hear how they treat making progress and filtering in London, having been pulled up for riding “London style” in the sticks…

I would imagine that depends on the experiences from the Observer’s and Examiner’s.

Born and bred in the smoke they’re likely to be more…liberal.

‘My friend’ had an Observer often would not filter as ‘my friend’ did but was happy to let him get away with a lot. The Observer used to ride the wheels off his R80 Boxer or whatever it was!

They’d do the Observed ride and debrief and then spend the rest of the day giving up some!:sunglasses: