OT: Home Network help

Why do you need the switch?

edit: Is it just to speed up the Network side of your router

No it’s because there’s five devices in the front room that need to either talk to each other or internet access via aforementioned cable…

That’ll work?

That’ll work for four devices only since you need to plug the router into the switch too. So plug the switch and devices that need internet access only into the router, plug the devices that need to talk to each other into the switch.

or future proof your set up with an eight port switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-TL-SG1008D-8-Port-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch-/181208583441?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

and plug everything into that

Ah yes, I’ll need the larger one, as the devices are all in a different room to the router. Cheers

Cable is always better than wireless if you want a reliable wireless connection.

If you plan on upgrading to FTTC or FTTP you will have to use the master socket.

If you are looking at a new adsl router make sure that you get one that does VSDL (FTTC).

There are some very good unmanaged and smart managed gigabit switches.  Get one rather than 100mbits.

Don’t get Netgear, a couple of months ago I had to use their support, and quite frankly it is the worst service that I have ever encountered, and they and really skimped on the VoIP bandwidth to India.  Avoid like a plague of boils in the arse.

Woah, easy cowboy. What the fuck is FTTC/P? The router isn’t VSDL, do I want that?

The switch in the link is gigabit aye?
Is TPLink gear ok?

Ah future proofing. The cheapest vsdl one is twice that at ÂŁ75. Hmm.

>So plug the switch and devices that need internet access only into the router, plug the devices that need to talk to each other into the switch.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re geting at, but in case anyone reads it as such, consumer-grade kit wont let you enforce a distinction between what’s plugged into the router and what’s plugged into the switch - everything will be able to talk to everything. The stuff that’s all plugged into the switch will have faster communication between themselves (since they’re presumably on a gigabit switch, and so have a wide link between them), but they will all share one single (presumably 100M) link to the Internet. 

Generally you wont really notice, and it’s easiest just to do it geographically simply - plug the things near the switch into the switch, and the things near the router into the router.

Something like that. It was a question of plugging 5 devices into a 4 ports, now resolved by opting for an 8 port switch.

FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet, where they lay fibre to a box in the street, and you have copper from there to your house. It’s faster than traditional all-copper connections.

FTTP = Fibre to the Premises, where the fibre goes up to your house. It’s faster than FTTC.

1 Like

We’ve just had our 1970’s ATTP upgraded to twisted copper pairs here with no sign of proper broadband anytime soon :frowning:

Pffffft your all living in the dark ages. Wireless is the way forward.

I’ll end up upgrading to fibre at some point.
In which case, what’s the point in VDSL Kevsta?

I'll end up upgrading to fibre at some point. In which case, what's the point in VDSL Kevsta? yourebarred
VDSL is the standard used for FTTC.  It is fibre to the cabinet and then copper to the termination point in the master socket.  So if you looking at buying a new modem, then make sure it supports ADSL & VDSL.  You can get these Thomson devices:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/25392-thomson-tg588v2/

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23623-thomson-tg589vac/

I have the TG589VAC as a stop gap as the BT Home Hub 4 was a POS and needed rebooting several times a day.  I intend to deploy a Cisco 1921 router shortly.

Pffffft your all living in the dark ages. Wireless is the way forward. banman
BS! Ever seen a wireless datacentre?

Most people have very different requirements at home to those of a datacentre.

Really? Next you’ll be telling us all vehicles and phones will be wired. Let’s stick to existing homes that won’t be rewired.

I wired my hose with two cat 6 cables to each room
I couldn’t be arsed with wireless