Organising a Eurotrip to the Picos

Just started planning a Eurotrip (No, you can’t come) so in homage to all of you* who have done this many times before, figured I’d keep a record of all the requests. Will show it to the lads when we finally get on the road. Just a bit of fun, but all of these are 100% genuine and I will keep adding to them as/when :slight_smile:

*RiotingRob who started me off on my first few Eurotrips and DJ_Magic who has done a few.

I like my lie ins
I don’t like ferries
Can you put all the hotel details, addresses, costs on a spreadsheet
Can we go via Andorra
Can we go via Bordeaux
I need to check my mum can look after my dogs
What hotels have you booked - can you list them for me
Can we go to the MotoGP in Aragon
Can you go via La Rochelle

To be extended am sure!!

LOL…Good luck Nick. I love Eurotrips and enjoy the planning nearly as much as the riding (not quite).

Even though I am fairly easy going, when I lead a trip its a new level of stress. (hoping everyone is enjoying it, detours, when the roads aren’t as bendy as I think they should be, hotels up to scratch, does everyone get along, etc etc)

I’m out this year, new baby in April, means at home for 6 months, and before you say wife whipped, I am going on track day(s) to Laguna Seca in Nov, so I can’t complain.
I think my next organised euro will be the Picos, never done it before, heard good things, take lots of pics and ill see you when your back for a full run down.

1 Like

Can I come?

1 Like

lost that by a short head

Did years ago. Ferry to Santander, and winged it from there.

Made the fatal mistake of thinking March in Spain would be guaranteed nice weather. Uh-oh, it was cold and rained every day except the days it snowed - interesting on a motorbike.

I do remember the roads in the Picos are narrower and more twisty than we were expecting. My mate was on a BMW RT and found it heavy going at times. We then went to Léon and out to Santiago de Compostela - which we discovered is an amazing party town. By day it is full of the god-squad doing pilgrimage stuff, and once they go to bed the university crowd come out to party the night away. We never managed to get back to our hotel room before 6 am. As it never stopped raining we were happy to park the bikes and party.

We nipped into Portugal from curiosity but the roads were awful, and the driving worse, so we didn’t stay long.

Despite the rain we still had a great time. Some cracking roads, relaxed attitudes to speed limits, and met a load of fun people.

@Michael748

Last Sept I ventured into northern Portugal and swore blind I’d never ride there again. Agree with you ref cr*p road surfaces and poor driving. Way way worse than Spain imho. Won’t be going back tbh

1 Like

@djmrmagic

Yep, Picos is the way :slight_smile:

Speak to Franc. He did Picos last year. Swears by it now!

We did it - sort of.

CV meant Spain trip would mean quarantine so we opted for Germany instead - ended up in the Hartz mountains.

Got back last night - was looking possible Germany would be added to Q list too as their CV rates have crept up - whilst we were away. In the end Northern Ireland and Wales require Q for returners from Germany but not England :slight_smile:

Nice place - bit like the Black Forrest I guess - 2 or 3 days playing is enough - any more and you find yourself repeating the same roads. I’d probably do a 2 base trip if I went again - 3 nights in the Black Forrest, 3 in the Hartz.

2 Likes

Good lad. Any pictures? Think I’ve done about 2K this year. Still it was quality not quantity.

2000? I cycled more than that!

Will post some up for sure - once I work out how to logon to LB on my phone.

1 Like

I need to get out more. This years total running mileage is proper lagging at just 2,624 miles and I did 800 of those on a sortie to the North Yorkshire Dales the weekend before last.

So any volunteers able to post some pics if I whatsapp them over?

Don’t whatsapp or faceache but if you email them I could.

Just been checking thae annual mileages on The 250 and it isn’t good

2015 9,450
2016 6,334
2017 4,860
2018 1,059
2019 3,201
2020 2,624 to date

Tsk. I have still not ridden since lockdown started in mid-March, and have still managed 2,762 miles this year. Hopefully I will go on an exotic tour of Brighton this week to break in the new tyre and just see if I remember how to do it.

Last year I had ridden 15,164 miles by the end of September, then added another 5,094 ending up in sunny and warm Ramsgate on December 30th. Strangely it was completely dead, yet the day before I went to freezing cold and grey Felixstowe and the beach was packed. Odd.

Over half my mileage this year (1,600 miles) was done in two weekend sorties :frowning:

It turns out riding a bike is like falling off a log. But without any of the falling. 199 days since the last time.

Good timing too, as my dad is back in hospital. Not sure exactly what is wrong yet, his lungs this time, but I may end up back commuting on the A16 north of Boston. Which I have become quite fond of, unlike the A16 south of Boston which is a hell made up of straight lines, roundabouts, and lorries.

1 Like

Just took my KTM for it’s annual service. 1000 miles ffs. 8k on the Kwaka.

Covid has defo impacted on these :frowning:

Just check the MOT and have done 15k in 15 months - so not as bad as I thought. 8k was since last service.

Write up and pictures starts on page 14.

1 Like