Only a broken elbow

Regarding the van driver being on the phone, I imagine that image is seared into the mind of the rider. Whether there’ll be evidence in court, who knows…

I've spotted something that even the great T.C didn't mention - The sunlight was behind the rider, evidenced by his shadow.  This would give the rider far better vision for anything in front of him as the sunlight clearly illuminates everything in front of him.  However from the van driver's point of view, he has glaring sunlight in his face, causing his pupils to contract, and as such, the rider may not be clearly visible to him.
Aceman
You did not read my subsequent post?  I mentioned what is called the Halo affect which is what you describe.
[quote] The van driver was also on the phone when it happened. Hold Da KæftAnd your evidence is? --- T.C [/quote]

From the actual rider involved in the crash.

Hold Da Kæft
OK.  Well I have been through it again and I can see nothing that supports a phone being used.

So if I have missed something, then I am more than prepared to accept it and apologise.

From what was said by the rider. They found out about the driver being on the phone some days after the collision. I’d imagine by the police investigation?

No one is asking for the driver to be flogged and jailed but a higher fine and a ban even if a short one should be the minimum?

That biker last year who rode like an actual twat but didn’t kill or injure anyone got a 2 year sentence. Just asking for penalties to be balanced.

Yeah that was my instinctive response… But then that could have meant was on his phone using a handsfree

Without going into the ins & outs of the case, I find it bizarre that someone can get fined less for careless driving than tbe minimum fine for speeding?

Without going into the ins & outs of the case, I find it bizarre that someone can get fined less for careless driving than tbe minimum fine for speeding? Pat
Speeding is deliberate and premeditated

Bear in mind, that because a conviction is dependant on the evidence there is a different range of penalties up to 9 points, disqualification and/or a £2,500 fine.  If it is deemed more serious there is the option of dangerous driving which means it has to be sent it the Crown Court but carries mucgh heavier penalties.

But the other point is inlike speeding, careless driving is 

1. Unintentional

2. Subjective

3. Requires a different test to prove the offence

4. The degree of severity can range from a minor momentary lapse with catstrophic consequences to a full blown major disaster.

Nobody usually goes out with the intention of driving carelessly and causing a crash.  Most people who speed do so deliberately in the same way that using a hand held mobile is a deliberate act.

Nobody usually goes out with the intention of driving carelessly and causing a crash.  Most people who speed do so deliberately in the same way that using a hand held mobile is a deliberate act.
T.C
have you not been down the mile end road ? it can be an eye opener

The intention logic is a strange one. Yes mostly speeding is probably an intentional act but then unintentionally driving badly seems like a pretty poor defence to me

The van driver didn’t look to me like he was paying much attention to taking that corner, especially if his vision was obscured by the sun, he cut the corner (presumably so he didn’t have to slow down), he was the man in charge of the controls, he could have intentionally slowed down but chose not to for the sake of carrying a bit of speed through the junction.

I’d say quite a lot of ‘low end’ speeding is unintentional. Either because the driver hasn’t noticed a sign, doesn’t know the applicable limit, or doesn’t realise that they’re actually exceeding it.

Anyone on 4 wheels that has a RTA with a motorbike or bicycle should be made ride one for a week in rush hour traffic, they will soon find the respect they should have.

Anyone on 4 wheels that has a RTA with a motorbike or bicycle should be made ride one for a week in rush hour traffic, they will soon find the respect they should have.
ORBNOXIOUS
You could argue that the motorbike should then have to drive a car for a week in rush hour, and then maybe we add a bicycle for good measure?

ORBNOXIOUS
that's a bit like saying someone who hit a shopping trolley should spend a week using one

people are motorcyclists for a reason

& people don’t ride motorcycle’s for a reason

what those reasons are would & could take a lifetime to explain

I wouldn’t mind the bike but driving a car in rush hour would drive me completely mental in a day.

Anyone on 4 wheels that has a RTA with a motorbike or bicycle should be made ride one for a week in rush hour traffic, they will soon find the respect they should have. ORBNOXIOUS
that's a bit like saying someone who hit a shopping trolley should spend a week using one
people are motorcyclists for a reason
& people don't ride motorcycle's for a reason
what those reasons are would & could take a lifetime to explain
Wise
Lol not really. Many car drivers never ride bikes in traffic and don't fully appreciate how dangerous it is. They'd soon change their attitude seeing it from the other side.

Probably cant get them on a motorbike but most can ride a push bike unless they are total malco's.

But by that logic many bikers I’ve met have never driven a car let alone a car in London rush hour to understand how their progressive filtering is not easy to spot from a car and how it affects car drivers trying to navigate rush hour

Very much this.

It’s scary how many riders I see that seem to be happy to sit in drivers blind spots.

Most of them would have been in a car though.  Best to see it from all sides is the point I’m trying to get at.

I am pretty sure that I am not alone in this but I honestly believe that part of a car licence test should include doing a motorcycle CBT. Perhaps retesting for all licences after a period of time as well wouldn’t go astray.

I’m not sure really. Why would you put someone on something they have no intention to ever drive? Just to prove the point that bikers have it hard? I’m sure that an HGV driver might want everyone to see it from his perspective, especially bikers and cyclists who undercut. But is it really practical or necessary?

Ultimately you choose to ride a bike Nd have to ride defensively.