OMC to stay open after all!

That could be a game stopper. Never used OMC, never needed to really, but the way you hear it is that Matt is OMC or OMC is Matt. In real life I’m probably wrong but the advise has always been go to the OMC, talk to Matt he’ll get you sorted.

That was mostly pre-OMC reputation from when he used to work at southern-cross etc. 

A replacement mechanic could be equally good, but without reputation, who knows? 

So you pay £20 a month then maybe use it 6 hours a year. That’s £390 a year. That’s £60 odd an hour, that’s main bike dealer hourly prices. Who would use this service?

If you’re only using it 6 hours per year then don’t take the membership route and the cost is halved.

Good point, is there any bike that takes more then 6 hours maintenance a year?

Uhmmm yeah especially if you put in the miles.

Even more if you’re just learning to spanner

on a standard maintenance schedule, mine needs at least 6 hours of work per year. not counting replacing consumables like tyres/ chain & sprockets/ brake pads. 

+1

It’s not just simple routine maintenance - in the past we’ve seen people learning all sorts of jobs and working on long-term classic re-builds with access to equipment that they would not have at home, particularly in a London flat.  People out in the sticks with drives & garages may not need it as much  as someone in a tower block

OMC is a good option if you are good with the spanner and you plan to do something relatively big to your bike. Good for storage too. 

You see I think the opposite is also true. If you are just starting to learn about motorcycle maintenance, it’s the best place to learn. You accept something will take you longer than it would take a mech but you’ll do it properly.

It’s also great for building up your skills so when something goes wrong at home, you can work on it…

I know I’m probably slow but I reckon I spend 6 hours a year on oil changes alone.
My circumstances mean that OMC isn’t really a viable option for me but if I still lived in a south London flat I’d be a regular.

I never spent less than 4hrs there doing stuff… There is always more to do when you are working on the bike.

If I was still in London, I would still be there regularly