Oldie but newbie

I’ve come to biking quite late in life (I’m 48 now), firstly out of convenience but now out of pleasure.

Convenience? Well I got sick and tired of being dependent on London public transport. Expensive, dirty, too hot, catching endless colds from unhealthy people in confined spaces and buses and trains that never ran on time. So I took a CBT and bought myself a little 50cc scooter. Well apart from having a moped when I was 16 I’d never even considered 2-wheeled transport so I was a little apprehensive to say the least about taking to the streets of London but it was an absolute joy - it felt like the shackles had been taken off and I was free at last!

It didn’t take me long to get frustrated with the scooter so I’ve now traded it in and have a 125 Eliminator. I’m now planning to take a test and get the full licence. If you’d have told me 2 years ago that I’d be riding around on a Motorbike, I’d have laughed in your face but now I love it. I only wish I’d taken this step years ago.

I must say I feel a bit of a fraud joining a biker’s forum at this stage of my life, but looking around your site you all seem to be a friendly bunch and for a novice rider I’ve found some of the tips in your mentoring section very helpful.

Anyway, I hope you won’t mind me kicking around and maybe picking your brains from time to time. :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome aboard.

hello and welcome mate, plenty of old fossils on here so ya gonna fit right in !! :smiley:

Forget your age, forget public transport and watch out for the people behind four wheeled coffins, good luck, all the best and hi.

Hello and welcome:)

Welcome to LB :cool:

Hello and welcome to LB:D

hello and welcome to LB

hi, i am a late starter too. started from CBT on a 125cc last summer, and got me full license last month, bought a heavy bike last week, and have commuted to strand for a week now. my colleagues and friends are puzzled by my motorcycling, but i really enjoy it, and enjoy this forum too.

Hiya,
Welcome to LB.

Hiya welcome to LB

hope you enjoy your stay here

Welcome to LB

feel free to pick my brains :crazy:

I’m looking at 50 from the other side so your still a pup :wink: I got back on two wheels nearly 2 years ago, and really missed that gap of 24 years, Oh yeah… welcome! and good luck to ya!

I started at the beginning of last December and felt exactly the same way! Now I am between bike after deciding to make a similar upgrade to a manual bike and I feel trapped again :frowning: not for long I hope.

It feels strange when, for example, I meet someone who is younger than me (I’m 36) who tells me of their 13 years riding experience! But the important thing is that we’re here, we made the step onto two wheels, it doesn’t matter when. Unfortunately the friends & colleagues that we all have just sometimes don’t understand!
Oh well…:wink:

Welcome (from another new rider)!

Gotta love LB. Nice keyfobs!