Old engine oil as chain lube?

Me too

chain saw oil, has a viscosity so does not fling off.

Well, lots of replies! I’ve got pretty OCD with chain cleaning and have a selection of lubes, but always open to new ideas and thought I’d give it a go. Won’t be doing it again as it was so fecking messy, off to the recycling it is.

Aye, some bike manuals mention gear oil followed by a chain wax to “seal” it, others specifically engine oil (new), Scottoiler stuff is basically chain saw oil?

Also, my first experience with ACF50. Managed to avoid the brakes but note to self to avoid the footpegs next time. Slippery stuff!

So, do people have a favourite lube? (I’m aware this topic has probably been done to death). And strawberry Durex isn’t an answer …

I’m using old oil for the chain lube via a Chain Oiler. Works fine and keeps it in good nick. I do clean it in paraffin every now and then though.

If your engine is shedding metal at a sufficient rate to make the old engine oil act as a grinding paste, then I suspect drive chain longevity isn’t really going to be the show stopper! :wink:

You could

• burn it
  • paint yourself a hitler moustache with it
  • cover your drive with it and practice ice riding skills, or those of someone you dislike
  • pour it in a local river
  • sell it online as eau de guy martin
  • pour it into an empty pint of Guinness and see if anyone can tell the difference

I like the Wurth stuff…

I know the Greeks are in a spot of financial bother but that is pushing a bit too far :w00t:

I use old engine oil as general lube for all sort of things :w00t:

e.g.
on a whetstone for sharpening my kniveson door hinges to stop irritating squeekson nuts and bolts when re-assembling engines
But I use chain lube on my chain :cool:

I tend to use a lot of rain water, works wonders.

Once a year I spray some cheap castrol stuff on and give it a rub with a metal brush to get all the rust off. :slight_smile:

i just use motul chain lube, ive tried engine oil but its messy and isnt actually designed with chain lubrication outside of a crank case in mind.

nailed it.