OK its official !!

JB? do u think its true that a persons genetics play a part in how fast or how they can lose weight? For instance someone with a smaller frame will lose weight at 2lb a week and can still look the same body shape wise, as they would if they did it WASPs way and lost a lot in a month ie 2 stone…whereas others take a lot longer to lose the weight, doing the same regime and same amount of times but will look a lot muscular at the end of it…?

Take myself and Wasp for instance…she is smaller built with smaller muscle shape (sorry Sam,im just taking a for instance here girl, dont punch me!!) but me, when i lose weight i go more muscular, thats one thing i dont like about my body shape, its not petite, im more like a bloody scottish navvie…something ive inherited from my ancestors …but i go in and out in the right places but with a muscular frame, and i cant change it no matter how i try…so when i wear a nice dress, it fits ok but my arms show these damn muscles and my calf muscles show when i move!!! whereas another woman has nice “womanly” arms and calfs, if u get what i mean…;)…

When im in the gym, i can push more weights than the other women who go in there? To me, what they are doing doesnt feel like im having a work out yet they tell me that im doing “too much” but i dont feel like im doing enough, yet they are losing weight too! Im also peed off that its taking so long to get back to the workouts that i used to do, and i know i have to stick at it and the stamina will come back i guess, so i put it down to my age and being unfit…but it still dont stop the fact that i cant change my body “shape”…

yes to an extent. genetics, natural testosterone levels and frame size have an influence. in most cases, its not usually very significant.

I think Wasp has done a great effort losing the weight. it takes effort and commitment. to be honest i don’t know enough about how she did it to comment further to be honest. all i would say is dramatic weight loss is not sustainable, and will not be just fat and so ultimately brings you back to what you’re going to do going forward to be healthy and stay at a body shape that makes you happy. also dramatic weight loss puts a lot of strain on the body’s organs, which is why I would never recommend it to clients. there is a reason why the ‘very low calorie’ diets have to be administered by doctors with regular checks.

the clients i see are usually malnourished i.e. missing appropriate levels of good proteins, fats and complex carbs. getting a healthier eating routine works wonders and is not the same as dieting. again, many of my clients weren’t actually eating enough when trying to get lean.

most people move relatively badly - working lives and sitting down messes with how the body controls itself. making body composition changes effectively means loading these movements more, so getting someone to have strong posture and control is key for me in getting someone to their goal in a healthy and injury free way. think of it this way, how useful is sitting in a chair and pushing something away from you on a day to day basis?

as for ‘gym advice’ from the other women, simply ask where they studied or what research they’re basing it on. if its off their mate, or out of a health magazine i’d be inclined to take anything they say with a pinch of salt. magazines and media info is usually more sensationalist than accurate, and panders to people looking for a quick fix. there is a degree of chinese whispers to all this, and many ‘gym’ views are based on information is very old, and has been shown to be inaccurate. take BMI for instance, its a highly inaccurate and misleading indicator, but is standard in most medical questionnaires.

Its called changing your lifestyle for a reason jules lol;)
Once you start losing weight and toning up you still have to maintain it…ok not as dramatic but you still have to eat less and eat better and keep active:D thats how i do it
I mean don’t forget i lost 4 stone in 2002 after carrying all the exess baby weight the year before and kept it off until 2006 but then i slipped out of that routine and piled 2 stones back on!..
I aint going down that route again:w00t:

It is easy…

eat, for breakfast…mushrooms, eggs lean bacon, sausages, cheese, no toast no cereal

for lunch eat more of the same, ham, beef, mushrooms. scrambled egg,

for dinner eat the same again…add fish, tuna, salmon, corned beef, canned spam, etc…mushrooms, onions…

on no account eat any carbs, , no vegetables and or anything similar or the first two weeks.

Then introduce vegetables over the next two weeks.

Take a mulitvitamnin tablet every day for the next 9 weeks. Once that includes minerals…and trace elements…

Then after 4 weeks you will have lost a massive amount of weight…keep up the protein diet, forget the shakes and slim fasts…if in 9 weeks you have not lost 2 stone and more I would be amazed…be careful that you do not get the shakes, exhausted or collapse from lack of carbohydrates…if you feel real bad have a small steak sandwich as a treat once a week…but really only once a week…and definitely not in the first two weeks…

No bread rice, pasta or any other carbohydrate at any time for the next 9 weeks.

This will work…

Yeh, and youve done really well and got the right frame of mind too girl !!! Im proud of your determination. JB i know what ur saying, my other half studied at uni and was a gym instructor, also taking classes at sports centres as well as his training when he was British Kick Boxing champ…so ive got loads and loads of “proper” books here at home i can look through (tho aint it always the way, when its under ur nose or uve got ur own “gym instructor” u never use them !! Its like learning to drive, dont ever go with ur other half and let them teach u !! :wink:

I know what ur saying about listening to others as well, cos everyone has seen or read something somewhere that will make u lose 2 stone in a week or something…nutters !!

I piled on the weight when i changed jobs, sitting in front of a pc now, and changed hours…so im more tired and just want to go home after work…when i get home i go straight in the kitchen and cook or start to sort out washing or some such household chore !! so again all i want to do once the dinners cooked is sit down,eat it, clear up the dishes and sit down again !! and so the good ol, fat lumps piled on and on and on…i hate it cos i cant ride me bike properly !!! :w00t:

Oh well, lets see what todays sesh in the gym will bring on…im only doing aerobic this week and next will do weights…try and build up a routine again…few yrs back i was doing 5 miles 3 times a week on the treadmill and weights the other 2 days…then id change it and do weights 3 times a week and running for 2 days…i didnt diet once…not once ate just what i wanted…then when i lost the weight i wanted i did 3 times a week instead of 5…then i changed jobs !!! ouch :wink:

Aint that the atkins diet or some such?? i cant have bread,pasta,etc cos they have wheat and gluten…and i hate the gluten free ones anyway…so far this week ive had slim shakes for brekkie and dinner…go up the gym for about an hour or so, come home and have a salad, lots of green stuff and some cheese, not a huge amount…if i want anything else i have apples…and lots and lots of water !! All that stuff uve mentioned is protein no carbs…arent u supposed to swop it about, like one day carbs the next protein…or something like that?

let start be me coming over, hopefully this weekend with a huge porcelain tub :w00t: (how i’ll fit this on my bike is a different story), and then we can empty all the chocolate cookies, brownies and cakes for you cellar :P:D:Wow:

:Whistling: might want to hand over the red wine at the same time :smiley:

AArrgghhhh !! i aint got none thats any good tho !! they were the wheat free ones but i dont have any in the cupboard, none that are mine anyway !! ha ha said i werent gonna buy any more wheat free crap like that…and i didnt when i went shopping…i bought the ol man a tin of biscuits he can eat to his hearts content…dont bother him he just goes on a 10 mile run and its burnt off him !!!

So im afraid i wont be able to fill up any bowl with my bickies…i cant even eat the thorntons ive got there !!! :crying:

Go to the gym and do the pump class 3 times a week and eat small and often and healthy, and do as much cardio work as you can and it will fall off you in lumps, thats what I did lost 3 stone then had 3 weeks of nothing and almost put it back on so got to start over :frowning:

Thats a bummer when that happens and u have to start all over again…just goes to show what kind of lives we live nowdays

Lots of sweaty sex sessions might do it! pm me i may be able to help.:smiley:

Course you can do it… sensible eating, squash, swimming & ashtanga yoga for definition… go for it :slight_smile: & good luck

Yes it is…And the inventor of that faddy diet died of a heart attack.

Must have had smelly breath too :wink:

Ha ha…yeh i did hear that he didnt even stick to his own diet…wasnt her the one that got FAT again?

Guess theres nothing like eating in moderation, BUT you have to do some kind of exercise? Remember as a kid u ate all day but u were running around like a headless chicken half the time as well, when u werent running round the playground, u were over the park or swimming pool or some kind of “play”…(note im talking kiddie things here not the kind of “play” some of u might have been up to as a youngster !!)…ewww, that seemed a tad pervy there…:stuck_out_tongue:

Can come for a cycle with me on Sundays? Start next sunday? :smiley:

ha ha…if u ride ur bicycle like u ride ur bike? then…nah i think i will sweat it out in the gym again…ha ha…anyway, i dont have a bike !! :P:D:P

[quote]
le-tils (13/10/2009)

Try ths out, its not a fad diet or anythign nasty like atkins - just changes the way you eat and how you give the body energy. I.E no more sugar to get you through the day. Its brilliant and got me down from 14 1/2 stone to 12 in 10 weeks…i was also in the gym a fair bit but the diet is very effective. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Doctor-Diet-Ian-Marber/dp/1405301422/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255441288&sr=8-4[/quote] Go for this if you want to start oozing garlic from every pore! Some good recipes in this, but my god, I really really really stank of garlic because he uses so much of it!!! And…well, it didn’t work for me in terms of weight loss or changing my energy levels.

Weird how one thing works for someone else and not for another isnt it?

Ive been to the gym every day this week…ive had a shake drink for brekkie and one for dinner, ive not had any chocs or cakes etc…and ive drank plenty of water every day too…and when i come home from the gym ive had salads, tonight i made a beef veg soup, all fresh ingredients picked up on way home… and ive lost about 4 lbs !!! prob out of my pocket in the supermarket than off my …ass !! :w00t:

Keep going Jules! :smiley:

I find that weighing yourself less frequently is better, as you see bigger results and feel that you’re actually getting somewhere! :wink: