Oh Wheelie...?

Does anyone have any suggestions of good places to go to master the art of the wheelie?!

I’m looking for somewhere either off road or out of the way where I can go and get to grips with my bike. I’m not trying to turn into a hooligan - I just want to learn what my bike can do and how to control it when the inevitable happens…

I’m east London based so ideally want to go somewhere north or east towards Essex.

Cheers
Ady

There’s schools where they will teach you to wheelie and apparently you can use your own bike at the end… Maybe a starting point?

(Saying that without knowing what your skill is on the bike… Learning to wheelie will probably result in dropping or binning it at some point, so maybe get the basics right under instruction?)

I went here a few years ago:  http://www.stuntasylum.com/

Not london (dorking way), but it’s a nice rideout :slight_smile:

Most follow the same concepts - a large open space, start on quads, then move onto fazer/bandits which are kitted out with anti-flip devices.

This particular one was fine with you trying your own bike at the end (although I didn’t).

What’s good is that they teach you the right way to wheelie (clutch rather than power), which is generally much safer as it’s low speed.

Was it worth £200? Not really in my opinion - different bikes wheelie differently…bite points, inline vs twins - I found their bikes super easy

to wheelie, where as I struggle on mine. 

A day off-roading is way more fun / similar costs, and will give you more idea of how to handle a bike when it feels out of control (lock ups, rear / front wheel slides / wheelies / falling off) etc :)

there one at north weld

Yeah, i did look at schools but it’s not that big a thing for me - i just want to get some practice and understanding of what the bike can do.

I did the Kent fire and rescue rider skills day on Monday which was great, however on the track session I was struggling to keep the front end down when accelerating hard.  It’s more about how to get the most acceleration out of the bike and learning how far i can twist before lifting the front…

On the other topic - an off road day is on the cards - me and the missus would both like to do that but its finding a day that works :slight_smile:

I did Stunt Asylum and it’s really good but I couldn’t get it consistent. It’s really down to me not giving enough throttle so can’t fault the school. Tbh I had to adapt the method taught because on my bike, I found I was travelling a bit quick before attempting the wheelie.

The principle is…

1. Open throttle to about half
  2. Let the revs build until the power band
  3. Keep throttle hand steady and slip clutch with a few fingers very quickly
  4. Ride out until you get more comfortable and then you can add more throttle as the front starts to come down. This means you learn to carry the wheelie further and further.

I often failed at step 1 and not give enough gas :slight_smile:

I adapted the technique such that I gave less throttle at the start and applied a bit more throttle as I slipped the clutch. I’m still crap at them.

I went to Stunt Asylum a few years ago. I was getting pretty good (as were the rest of the group) in the morning session and then after lunch there was heavy rain. We still kept practicing but the rain knocked most of the groups confidence as slipping the clutch in the wet is counter intuitive. There was one chap from London Bikers called Rob who wheelied consistently in the rain then had a go on his own bike (Hornet) at the end but he was the exception. After lunch most of us just spent our time going over and back feeling frustrated. The technique they teach you is useful but it’s always from more or less a standing start, you coax the bike until it’s moving at idle in 1st then give it half throttle wait a bit and slip the clutch. It’s effective but if you fancied hauling it up in 2nd from 30mph you won’t get there. I’ve managed to pull a few 3 and 4 inch wheelies on my bike since being there but nothing credible.

I enjoyed the Yamaha off road school more because we got to ride more and as the day progressed they opened more and more of the motocross track which was exciting and let us have a go on more powerful bikes. There is no official racing but we did anyway. A group of us went from London Bikers and had an absolute riot.

I’ve done the Dave Thorpe Off-road Experience in Wales too. That was ok but it’s hard to find the right level. As I’d done the Yamaha off-road experience I went into the advanced group which was a bit too advanced and I crashed in the first session. After that I dropped down into a lower group but there we spent a lot of time assessing every challenge before riding it which was a slow way to progress. Although no one got injured, people fall off a lot (including me) and have to assess whether they are injured which can get a bit frustrating.

Not as closely related but the Ron Haslam Race school is fantastic if you get the weather. If it rains it’s still good but not nearly as good as in the dry.

Just to add that I too had a good time at Golding Barn with the Yamaha offroad day. It’s Mx rather than enduring track but you do find you are constantly trying to work the track and don’t get bored. Only yup I would give is hope that it is either a bit wet or has rained the days before. We went in a dry period and the track was really dry. Was alright but I wanted to get muddy! Go in a car cause you will be knackered

I went here a few years ago:  http://www.stuntasylum.com/
Not london (dorking way), but it's a nice rideout :) nich

They have a few locations, I trained with them in North Weald (not too far from Epping).

I can 100% recommend them. Nice and professional guys (check the video of them doing demonstrations for us during lunch time at the bottom of the post), you get plenty of time on bikes (and quads at first) and can eventually have a go on your own bike if you’re brave enough :slight_smile:

Now that I’ve done this I’m thinking of also completing the stoppie school with them.

Stunt Asylum 100% good lads there and you learn loads