Oh Dear Oh dear - Variable Speed Cameras

I have just received a NIP from Avon & Somerset police for doing 84 on the M4 last Thursday at 22.00 in the evening. I was nabbed by a HADECS camera on a variable speed limit gantry. OK, so far, so normal but what surprised me is that the speed limit signs were not illuminated which means National Speed Limit applies, i.e. 70 mph. I had always thought, and I’m sure I remember reading some time ago, that the cameras were not active unless a lower speed was showing. Fine, I should not have been doing 84 but this is just to let folk know that the cameras ARE active at all times. I guesss because we have regional police forces the policy differs across the country but, be careful out there.

Hmmm I always treated them as normal cameras that adapted when the limit changed, wouldn’t be much point to them otherwise…

Never a good thing to get through post… Hope it doesn’t cause too much hassle!

I thought it was a question of getting the technology to work.The reason as I understand it that the likes of the M25 variable speed cameras were so long in going live was because of a problem with variable calibration inline with variable speed limits. Didn’t Rusty give us a big thumbs up on that issue being resolved last year?

and since we’re on the subject of NIPs, FPN’s and points Here’s a thing and not since records began

You have 0 current penalty points https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
My last indiscretion expired on 25th October 2017 and its removal date is 25th October 2018

Happy days

Thsnks jjmutohy. Were there the usual horizontal white stripes on the road as you went through the camera?

Thsnks jjmutohy. Were there the usual horizontal white stripes on the road as you went through the camera? eezie
Yes there were. The annoying thing is I knew the camera was there but because no limit was showing on the gantry I assumed it was not active. The bumbf that came with the NIP said the lines on the road related to the old cameras and were not part of the way the new camera worked. The implication is that you don't have to have lines on the road now.

This is good to know as I’ve always thought the same as you. I’ve definitely been through some of these over 70mph but must’ve been lucky. Sounds like youve taken one for the team mate!

With the variable cameras, they don’t need lines on the road to measure the speed.

If these are the same ones I am thinking about,they are on the side of the road, and are “normally” proceeded by 3 cameras on a pole, which point to a big display sign. (which normally display the reduced speed sign)

I have seen these go off on the M1 on the opposite direction of travel to me

Sorry to tell you but the HADECS scameras at the side of the gantries are on permanently the same as any other ‘safety’ cameras, it’s the overhead ones for the variable limit that go off when there’s nothing on the matrix boards (at least the ones on the M25 do).

I’ve sometimes wondered how they determine which vehicle set it off, with four lanes to choose from and no lines on the road to work it out.

1 Like

I've sometimes wondered how they determine which vehicle set it off, with four lanes to choose from and no lines on the road to work it out.
fatshoutybloke
its easy they take two photos & which ever vehicle has travelled the most gets a letter 

Here’s some info from Pistonheads forum, ot dated unfortunately, but it appears ALL variable speed cameras are now active when no speed limit is shown.
"Hi All,

I’ve just had a message from a friend of mine who is a PC in the Met.

She has said that from tonight the cameras on the M25 and M1 go live above 70mph, with automatic tickets issued.

No doubt i’ll get flamed, but thought I’d pass it on anyway in case it helps anyone.

Will"

The added problem is they don’t use the usual white lines on the road so you get even less warning.

Jeez, I’d be lucky to get above 40mph on the M25 most times I use it.

Has his been confirmed one way or another do we know?

At that speed you may qualify for the speed awareness course so hopefully they’ll offer you that. Sadly the insurance companies have wised up to this so your premium may go up. Least you’ll not get the points though.

I’ve always thought speeding past any camera was brave even the old M25 ones. I did enjoy pressing on through the forward facing only average cameras back in the day though. And the last part of the M4 East bound before they became an average camera zone.

There’s still some great quiet A roads though.

Jesus, I’ve heard about people who gone through those “grey” cameras doing way above 100mph… glad I’ve read that, now I can warn them that is not wise to travel above speed limit.

R

Grey? I was of the opinion the monitored gantries have two yellow cameras mounted on the left.

Unfortunately, JJ, the Hadecs cameras are on permanently and set to NSL even when the variable limit isn’t in place and the cameras on the gantry are off. I don’t believe they alter when the variable limit comes down and the gantry cameras are switched on at the lower limit. I suppose it’s conceivable if you belt through then you could get photographed by both.