Number Plates Rules and Sizes

Hello guys!

I am just wondering if that is possible to order new number plates in nice smaller size
but still legal and not too small…
At the moment I have pretty big and ugly number plates on my Street Triple and wondering how much I could play with the size ?
Any ideas !?
Please let me know and HAPPY EASTER you all guys

Thanks
!

M.

That depends what you mean by ‘still legal’ - if they’re smaller than standard then they’re technically not legal.

There is no room for movement, anything other than standard size and lettering style is Illegal and carries a Fine (not sure if it’s endorsable)

But if you get a smaller plate (6x4) with the correct font letters then it is down to the officer who spots you, i’ve been out on a Bikesafe course with my Plate on and the Coppers said nothing. But it is still illegal and they could quite easily have done me for it but you would have to get the wrong copper on a bad day as it is still obvious and visable what my plate says

oh ****
what measure is legal then ?
mine seems like elephant number plates…
shame, why could be like in US?
then you can admire a bike - not massive number plate which shows up first…
cause it is so big !
ehhh…

The size you have will be the legal size, Anything else is Illegal. :crying:

As long as the letters and numbers on it are on two lines, legal size and font with legal spacing between them and the legal minimum margin around them, your plate can be any size you like. It’s all in here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

I’ve had two bikes with legal small plates, my old CBR had a narrower plate than usual because there were only 3 numbers on each line (R75 LAA) and my Ducati has a narrow plate because two of the numbers are 1s so take up less width.

It all depends on the police on the day… I got pulled for a plate that was technically small, but the lettering was all the correct size. However, he didn’t do me for that, he did me because he didn’t like the angle on the KTM and the fact my bolts were blue… :blink:

There are some jobsworths out there…

Fine is £100, no penalty points…

Ask PJ about the trip to Boxhill on his 1098, by the time the Surrey Traffic police had finished it was a mandatory court appearance. :blink:

It was a good thing that they weren’t there to enforce that day only educate. I believe and PJ can confirm since then he has only run standard plates.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think small plates look tacky especially letterbox ones. They are also an excuse to get pulled especially in Wales where they will pull out a ruler to check. Go and spend your money getting your suspension sorted by B (or someone else) rather than investing in a plate that will cost you another £100 when you get fined and you’ll have to switch it back anyway.

I use 6x5 plate and had no issues, just put my standard on for the Wales trips! Order small plates from showplates website - don’t go for letterbox plate!!!

THANKS GUYS

Must consider myself lucky… especially as one of my indicators was on the fritz, the rear light was burnt (it was still light so not on but getting close to dark) and the tyre was on the limit - granted still legal but only just.

That’s why I politely accepted my fine and raised no objections… still thought he was a c*nt though :smiley:

When I got pulled over one time by a very aggressive bike cop (City of London Police) he threatened to take my keys and make me push the bike home as he said my undersized plate ‘invalidated my insurance’. Having tried his best to rile me and fail (and by Christ did I have to bite my tongue) I rode home. But I wondered whether, given insurance companies liking to not pay out if possible, there was any truth to this…??

When I got pulled over one time by a very aggressive bike cop (City of London Police) he threatened to take my keys and make me push the bike home as he said my undersized plate ‘invalidated my insurance’. Having tried his best to rile me and fail (and by Christ did I have to bite my tongue) I rode home. But I wondered whether, given insurance companies liking to not pay out if possible, there was any truth to this…??

Im not sure how yrue it is about the insurance cos when I had a private plate on my car I had S4 MKB and I had it positioned so it said S4M K B. I got pulled and was told to replace it within 7 days and nothing regarding invalidating insurance.
The problem with having smaller plates is 99.99% of people that put smaller plates on also change a number of other things on their bikes, and not all of those people inform their insurers of the mods, so the small plate could draw you unwanted attention and an over zealous cop could find other things he wouldnt have had ypu not had the plate and end up doing you for that as it will invalidate your insurance.

If you keep it sensible, 6" x5" ish, most coppers won’t mention it… (Unless you are in Wales of course and then ruler comes out with £100 fine).