Not bike related but whatja think

Was driving home from work this morning and this happened, could have been the same on the bike.
Go to about 3min20sec in to see what I mean.
Any idea who would have been at fault?
Don’t think it’s me :smiley: lol

Theoretically, it would have been van’s fault as he should have given the way to the vehicle on a roundabout, especially as you reached the roundabaout half a second earlier… The other question is if you were indicating that you’re about to make a turn? Maybe it does not really change who would have been in fault, but an indication would have sent a message to the van driver about your intentions… But either way, I am pretty sure you would have been getting a new front for you car for free :wink:

Yip was indicating to turn right too

typical white van man. taking the p***

White van at fault

Yep - he didn’t even slow as far as I could see…

WVM scores negative again!

If you were indicating, that may have helped your claim. I’ve listened to this twice and could not hear your indicator. I’m certainly not saying that your weren’t indicating, but there is no evidence of that. Yet the position you took driving over the painted roundabout, when you had clear opportunity to driver around it, I think would have gone against you. Higway Code rule# 164 "Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings ecept large vehicles which are phyusically incapable of doing so… Laws RTA 1988 secti 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1). Your position at 3:25 seems to contrast with that.

Your comment "F***ing d***head, made me laugh. I’m trying to think of what my IAM car Observer would have said in the same situation, which would be more like “Oh dear, the poor chap probably didn’t notice my indicator.”

Another point that may have gone against you is at 4:15 when you turned left at the lights. You went straight out into the right hand lane when there was no need to. That could be said that that is further evidence that your positioning in habitually incorrect. You were also driving home from work in the morning, therefore probably having done a night shift and therefore quite tired, and not in the most aware state to be in control of a motor vehicle. Well, if I were a lawyer, and I’m not, I’m just playing devils advocate, that is how I would be entering the debate if I were against you.

Yet if I were for you, I would say that the you were consistant in keeping to the speed limit. The music you were playing was pleasant and mild, not loud rock music, so would offer that as evidence of a placid and mild mannered person.

Always give way to the right on a roundabout
So you was in the right
He made no attempt to stop at the roundabout either

I’m with Aceman. I’m not saying any of the following is fact or not, your video evidence suggests to me that it might just be the case.

Against you
You don’t appear to slow down sufficiently for the roundabout, you cut across the roundabout, you take very little in the way of avoiding action preferring to sound your horn and shout aggressively.

In your favour
White van man should have given way to the right. I’m fairly sure I can hear your indicator clicking prior to the roundabout.

Had a collision occured 50:50 may be a fair starting point for both parties.

I was always taught to look ahead, so approaching the round about I was already looking to see if there was anyone there and would have reacted accordingly.
This is not the first time this has happened to me at this round about, they come up the rise and see nothing to the right and think it’s ok to keep going !!

We (Sarah (my wife) and daughter Rhianna) had a similar accident up in Bedford a few years ago and we were on the round about turning right when a van hit us.
It was an offset double round-a-bout and he just shot across both straight into me near side front wing.

I was always taught to look ahead, so approaching the round about I was already looking to see if there was anyone there and would have reacted accordingly.
This is not the first time this has happened to me at this round about, they come up the rise and see nothing to the right and think it’s ok to keep going !!

We (Sarah (my wife) and daughter Rhianna) had a similar accident up in Bedford a few years ago and we were on the round about turning right when a van hit us.
It was an offset double round-a-bout and he just shot across both straight into me near side front wing.

[quote]
JesteR6 (11/04/2015)

Not judging yet still you cut across the roundabout rather than take it with caution :ermm:

As you say, the road layout is poor, but could it be better? A mini roundabout in the middle of a bend, the town planners could only have been expecting traffic in both directions to perceive the hazard and slow down accordingly. I’d imagine that junction, in the middle of a bend as it is, would have been an ‘accident black spot’. Now we’re politically correct is a bloody nightmare of a mini roundabout

This happens all the time at mini roundabouts. I absolutely hate bloody mini roundabouts, they don’t have them in Holland thank god. No one knows how to use them properly and it’s usually a free for all. If you drive round them properly and not across the centre that confuses ignorant motorists who assume you are turning off and don’t give way. I think they are a scourge.