Not a Biker YET

Helloooo

Love to be a member here since im preparing for the motorbikes tests, love how this forum is organized and like the members activities, im still taking lessons on bikes, love biking, and willing to buy a sport bike just after getting the license

Just wanted to Say hi for Now

Hi Big Brother LB is a great site to be apart of so Welcome

What bike are you planning on getting (Say Gixxer ) good luck with your test mate

poke poke n SmacK with the newbie crutches

Da Artist

welcome to the site,invest in a kawasaki

welcome to LB! Don’t listen to them they don’t know what they’re talking about…

INVEST IN A YAMAHA R6R!

poke with Clinton’s newbie crutches!

-Damian

Hiya and Welcome to LB, get yourself down to Cubana on a Wednesday night and introduce yourself proper.

You know that Honda is the future and the way forward !

awww, thanks for the nice welcome.

Actually, im, not sure of the bike im wiling to buy, it depends on the budget, but to be honest, i love Gixers, and yamahaz

P.S. What is Cubana

Hey Big Brother! Welcome to LB fella! Good luck with the lessons! It’s a great time you’re going through. I was happier than I’d been for a very long time when I started riding! Cubana is our Wednesday night bike meet in Waterloo. Check the General Bike Chat forum for a sticky post about it!

Welcome to the forum

Since everyone else is doing it…

INVEST IN A CAGIVA

Thanks sharpshooter, and Jay, thanks for the explanation,i would love to be there asap, but it would be shame to go there without a bike

Thanks Weaver, Im sure ill be at cubana once and just shout “The Big Brother is watching ya :p”.

For the age, im 26 yrs old, what im think in is to get a 600cc bike or more, but when i asked this in another forum they just said "ur probably asking for ur death ", but i say that when ur irresponsible person, even riding a 50cc scooter could kill ya, is’nt ?
Because i cant accept the idea of having a small bike for a year or more to get experience on it, since a friend of mines and I go to a big unused park, and ride a 50cc bike there, and learn on it in every possible way

You get more out of biking faster, learning to ride a smaller bike properly first, then progressing up. Being able to ride well is all about experience and confidence, the latter only comes from understanding everything that a bike is doing, and will do, and you won’t learn that by going to a big bike straight away, as it’ll intimidate you and this will either hold you back, or have you going over the line and making a mistake. If you work up from a smaller bike, the differences are smaller, and more managable to learn.

I started on a 125cc, then to a 500cc, then when I passed my test I got a 400cc bike, then a 600cc, then a 750, and then a 1000cc. I know for a fact that if I’d have gone straight for a 600, I wouldn’t have learnt as much and wouldn’t be as confident a rider as I am today. I might also have bashed myself up!

That’s where that line of thought comes from. I think when you got similar advice, it comes from people who have said it a hundred times before, and seen the results of not going down this route, when things go bad. None of us want to see a fellow rider go that way and want the best for them. The trouble is, as a new rider, you may be taken in by all the glitz of the big-bikes, so it can be hard to see other ways of doing things.

Personally I don’t think the issue is about whether or not you’ll hurt yourself, as that’s down to your personality really and how responsible you can be. The issue is how quickly you’ll learn to be a good rider and how much you get out of it.

We’ve all seen ‘riders’ that pass their test and go and ride big bikes straight away, and it would seem only to pose on them, not to enjoy them. The end result is that they can’t ride for toffee and if they feel their skill is challanged then they might make mistakes and end up the fool, or worse.

The reward from learning to ride a bike properly and making full use of it is infinantly better than that of owning the latest and greatest and not being able to ride for toffee!

My personal advice would be to go for a modest bike, one that you won’t be too bothered if you damage here and there with silly mistakes that we all make whilst starting out, i.e. dropping a bike, not fitting in a big enough gap, etc. This bike could be anything that takes your interest. A more city-orientated bike, a 400cc sports bike, etc, but nothing fast and expensive. Your insurance will also be a lot cheaper going this route and allow you to build up the all-important No-Claims-Bonus that you’ll need to insure a more expensive bike later on when you’re ready.

Also, don’t think that you won’t be able to keep up on a more modest bike. I’m not blowing my own whistle here, but I’ve beaten people through town on a 100cc two stroke thing from the 80’s when others have been wobbling around on big sports bikes. It’s not how fast your bike goes that counts, but how you use it, and you’ll be able to use more of a lesser bike, faster, than you will of a bigger bike.

Ah, one more thing; buying a modest bike at the start means you spend a lot less money, which means you can buy the right protective gear from the start, which is way more important than what bike you ride. Things like a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and trousers. Better to fall off a cheap bike with good gear, than an expensive bike with no gear, because if you do the latter, you’ll be paying for it twice as bad, if not worse.

You’ll find the Cubana car-park full of all different types of bikes. Nobody says anything bad when someone rides in on a 125cc bike, an older bike or the like. What they might say is something like “bloody hell mate, you’re not wearing any gloves!?”. Biking isn’t about status, that’s for car drivers, biking is about fun and the social aspect.

Thanks mate for the great advice, indeed that thing u said lastly gave me good feeling, cuz seriously, this is what bothers me sometimes.

Some said to me that getting a sv650 or 650s is a good starter bike, is that safe and good in order to get experience on it ?

thanks again

Welcome to LB matey, see ya down the road sometime.

By the way, well said Jay…get yer experience first then up the bike to something you want…undoubtably something will happen in the first year and you do not want to see your new pride and joy down the road by itself!

hi big brother, go for a kwak.

Big Brother, an SV650 is a great bike. The fact that it’s a 650cc doesn’t mean much on its own. You could get a pussy-cat 1000cc and an evil satan-loving 1000cc bike. It’s the way it delivers power that matters really. The SV is very smooth and is a great bike for the city, they’re also well-priced.

joezx12r, Kwaked-up, thanks for welcome

Jay, thanks for advice again, i think ill get that bike “after these bunch of advices, but won’t keep it for good”, maybe till someone rents me his supersport bike to take a ride on it, then ill sell the SV and get a big bike

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcomes from all.

P.S. This site looks to be reflecting the Internet to Real life “meetings, trackdays, etc…” thing i really love in this forum

Hi ya

welcome to LB

poke poke with the newbie stick

welcome

AJ

I agree i think that is the best route even though you are over 21. I’m 17 and at the moment im on a 125. Guna get my test out the way by the end of the year then move up to a 400 then a 600 etc. You learn a lot by riding the smaller bikes because they are more forgiving and less likely to throw you off

I totally agree with what was said by Jay and Sharpshooter… I started off by going straight to a hornet 600 and although this is a great bike I found that if you did make a mistake (which you will as a new rider) it hurts both wallet and body… twice!

I’m currently riding a Honda Bros 400 on which I am having loads more fun as it is so tiny (I’m 5’6" tall and can get both feet flat on the floor), it’s light and quick through the corners, I have no problems whatsoever keeping up with bigger cc bikes through the twisties but obviously along straights you get blown away by the bigger bikes. Plus it costs peanuts…

I now plan on keeping it for commuting (and the occasional trackday… no laughing!) as I had only planned it to be a stopgap whilst I wait for my 800cc of Bee Em Double ya power to be delivered!!!

On the subject of the SV… my mate has one and they are good bikes, being a slightly bigger Vee twin I almost always forget the great engine braking when I get on it though, result… fishtailing down the road, gives my mate palpitations every time I get on it

Whatever you decide you’ll have great fun

Tim

In other words get a Cagiva Mito People might say they are unreliable, but they only break if you don’t look after it, and treat it with respect. As with any 2-stroke you MUST regularly top it up with the best 2-stroke oil you can afford and ALWAYS warm it up before riding. If you don’t like the look of the Cagiva, theres always the Aprilia RS125 which IMO is FUGLY (bar the new 06 model).

If your a bit on the heavier side a 125 probably isn’t for you. Go for one of the 400’s, these are pretty decent bikes and will more than keep up with bigger bikes in the twistes. The VFR400 NC30 is the best one in my opinion, but there are several good 400’s out there, Kawasaki ZXR, Honda CBR, Honda RVF, Suzuki GSXR, these are the best sports 400’s.

As already mentioned the Suzuki SV650 is a great bike, i’m considering either stepping up to this or the VFR for my next bike. SV’s are relatively cheap and most insurance companies like them. They don’t produce as much power, and aren’t as fast as bikes of the same sort of cc, and are quite forgiving. Lower fairing is a must though if you prefer the sportier look which would set you back about £340-£400 (on the newer shape models, don’t know how much for older ones)