Nikon or Canon

I I was wondering if anyone can help me, i Currently have a Nikon D40 and i want to upgrade to a quicker and better camera for taking my pitures or Racing, i like the nikon but i have heard that the Canon also is very good and gives a better color to the pictures.I want to get crisper pictures and better pixels as i get in closer.Can anyone point me in the direction of a good upgrade?

Here are some pics i have taken on my Nikon !

As you seem to have a decent Nikon lens, why not try a D300?

I always go with Canon, but I guess that’s a loyalty thing these days rather than knowing which is better.

+1 on Canon, but it’s what you get used to - If you have Nikon kit and are used to them best stay Nikon - watch out though as price rises have just come through on Nikons, though not all DSLRS so have a good look around.

Personally, if I was upgrading right now I’d go Canon 5D mk11

The EOS 5D MKII is the one I wish I could afford, but will probably get the 500D when it gets released - subject to funds :slight_smile:

As Stripled says, if you’ve already got Nikon lenses that you like then stick to buying a new body. Otherwise have a look at both brands if you are looking to change.

Personally I prefer Canon, they just feel more natural to me.

Stick with what you’ve got, Nikon, Canon, virtually identical these days at the semi-pro to pro level in terms of what they offer.

Best to stick to one system as you develop, as you won’t have to buy new lenses and accessories that way…

That’s my take anyway

Brand loyalty is only a question of money. If you’ve enough cash to swap manufacturers and replace your kit entirely, then of course that’s an option to consider. I shoot Canon, have done for 20 years so I can explain that range in depth.

Canon make two lines of pro cameras with each line having a bias to either sports/action/journo type shooting (50D, 1D MarkIII) where speed and accuracy are the most important factors, or studio/glamour/landscape shooting where the subject isn’t dashing around so much and therefore quality can come to the front at the expense of focus / processing speed (5D Mark1 and II, 1Ds Mark III).

Now, these cameras are at least a grand a pop so we are talking serious cash for hobby-shooters. Below this level Canon only have one range where of course marketable features are the design ethos, essentially megapixels. This range is the 450d, 500d etc - all of which are fine cameras capable of taking a great image but they have plastic bodies (don’t drop them) and much more limited AF capabilities and don’t process images with as much care as the pro range (megapixels are only the starting point for a good picture).

Since I shoot motorsports far more than anything else these days my camera choice had to suit that hence I have a 10.2mp 1D MarkIII, but that’s backed up by a 8.2mp 20D which is about 4 years old. Comparing the two it is obvious that the 1D has a far quicker and more accurate AF system and produces a slightly sharper and more balanced image than the older 20D. However, the 20D can still track subjects pretty well and when it’s on the money I get a very pleasing image from it. The BSB galleries are a mix from both cameras and I defy anyone to tell which shots were taken on my £250 2nd hand 20D or my owned from new £2500 1D.

But that’s Canon.

As far as Nikon goes, I haven’t had too much exposure to that brand. I own a 1972 F2 Photomic but that’s not important here. Over the last 4 years I’ve shot with friends who all used Nikon - the D70s, D200 and now the D700 - and they’ve all impressed me with the final result but infuriated me with the camera design and menu layout (surely a case of getting used to it). So I have nothing against Nikon at all, their lenses were at worst level with the Canon equivalent but often slightly better quality.

I can tell you that in the BSB pressroom about 90% of the shooters use Canon simply because Nikon have always lagged a long way behind Canon in terms of AF and high ISO performance. Both are important to motorsport, high ISO especially so in this dark wet country. The D2X for example was a good camera for motorsport, but handicapped by a 6mp sensor if memory serves, and shooting at 400ISO or above screwed the results.

Now the D700 and presumably to D300 have moved the game on for Nikon, I know they’ve certainly cured the ISO issue and I imagine their AF performance is now much improved. Hell, the D3 is possibly the best DSLR out there now but (it should be for £5k) so they’ve a good lineage to work from.

From the last generation the D80 or is the the D90 were the pro-am models akin to the Canon 40 and 50D, so try second hand examples of those. Look at the D2x tool but see if you can shoot a few and check the quality.

My overall recommendation would be

1. do some homework as to camera specs and 2nd hand prices

2. trot along to Grays of Westminster - they are possibly the most respected Nikon retailer in London with a huge 2nd hand stock. Take a memory card, load it in different bodies and shoot the same subject to compare at home. And talk to them!

3. don’t forget a decent lens is just as important.

4. practice practice practice.

I’m lucky enough to be able to try out most of Canon’s higher end stuff.

Last year I actually spent my own money on a 40D, which would seem to be about the best value DSLR Canon have made.

With a decent L series lens image quality is really good, and it’s image quality that’s important. It’s a fast, well built bit of kit and a good ‘all rounder’ and a bit of a steal 2nd hand.

But as the last post says - get in there and get a feel for what’s right, both in controls and handling - the newer kit has more pixels, more features, but sometimes these are just accessories you may not even need, but it’s hard to buy a bad camera from the big two!

If you upgrade and your selling the current one how much are you looking for?i’d be pleased with these type of pics ive only got pocket cammera and want to get somthing better

+1 for nikon d300 - an excellent piece of kit, no real point at this stage going for the 700 i think.

+1 for Canon. I loved Nikon, but changed a year ago and don’t regret it at all… Sharp, lovely pictures…

Hi BB#18,

I do a lot of motorcycle race photography;

www.motorbikestoday.com click on ‘Le Mans’ picture

I have always used Nikon and found them to be extremely good. Canon are more or less the same but when in the isle of man I used a friends Canon 5D MK2 and didnt think it was much cop. Maybe from being unfamiliar with it. For best resuts its better to rely on technique rather than the camera as any of the recent offerings from Nikon/Canon etc are more than up to the job.

If you have Nikon gear it makes sense to stick with them. The D300 suggestion is a very good one and very competitively priced.

If you want any other help pm me

nice pics snakehips. I’d add in defense of the 5D that it’s not designed to be a sports shooter - it’s strength is and always was for static subjects. It’s AF system isn’t as strong a component as the processor and image quality systems.

Thanks andrew&7. You too. That makes sense now that you mention it. For the money though I expected a bit more.

Mikey shot with me last year on track and the difference in AF between his 5D and 1D was staggering although the 5D images, when used within it’s comfort zone, were miles better quality. Same goes for the MarkII version but more so, I mean 22+megapixels :w00t:

Pleasing website and some great shots. Good work.:smooooth:

Canon!!!

Not that I work for them or anything… :ermm:

Just to add an alternate viewpoint, I think the camera bodies are all pretty standard.
Get the one to suit your budget and either canon, nikon or any other decent make will provide very comparable results (if you’re on a budget Pentax are seriously good kit for the money).

However, since the body can only physically record what is projected into it, the most important part is the lens.

Get the body to suit budget and then get the best lens for the job that you can afford. It will improve the IQ far more than the body.

Wise words indeed. I just find Canon’s easier to use than Nikons… I remember trying to change something on the Nikon D100 (while ago) once and having to hold down two buttons whilst turning a wheel or something long…

Hey guys thank you all for your kind words and guidence, i am going to look at the D700 and also D300 and see what they are like.

Does anyone know what camera Bonnin lane uses as i have seen the quality of her pictures and there fantastic, color on them is great ?

Will keep u all posted on my choice :slight_smile: