newbie gear/helmet

Hi all,

I have just passed my cbt and now I am looking around to get my first motorcycle gear.

I focused on helmet first. My friend recommended me shoei brand and I found this shoei xr 1100 for 189£

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/products/Shoei-XR1100-White.html

However I am not able to try it on before buying, since helmetcity is nowere near central London. I have tried shoei qwest and seems like I have medium size head. 

Do you think it is safe to order it online with that size? Do shoei helmet sizes vary between models?

Where do you guys buy your gear? Is it a good time to buy it now or maybe better to wait for Jan, Feb ?

Thanks!

Where abouts are you??

And welcome to the most addictive and expensive hobby :slight_smile:

Could go to the excel bike show in January to try everything on under one roof and might grab a bargain…

yeah, the Excel show is your best bet. http://www.mcnmotorcycleshow.com/

I leave near waterloo.

Great to know about this Excel show! I will definitely go there :slight_smile:

Metropolis at Vauxhall has helmets. Try them on then order online. Never buy a helmet you have not tried. An illfitting helmet may do you more harm than good.

Get yourself down to a shop and try on as many brands and models as you can. Not all models from the same brand have the same internal shape, so just because a medium in one model fits you ok, it doesn’t necessarily mean that a medium across the entire range will fit you the same. Do your research, try loads on and THEN go online to get the best price. Infinity and J&S have a few stores in and around London, or just have a quick Google for what’s in your local area.

As above; a badly fitting lid, no matter how expensive or what the brand, is a poor investment and won’t do its job properly.

I bought my new helmet from sportsbikeshop.co.uk as they are very well reviewed and have a free returns policy where they are happy to let you try one on for size but replace it if it does not fit.

Cannot vouch for that though as did not need to use it, but the delivery was well packaged with the helmet box inside an outer one to protect it from being knocked about in transit.

Wait until March and you can enjoy Aldi and Lidl’s annual motorcycle weeks…

The qwest is nothing like the xr1100 in fit. My head fits in the xr but not I the qwest and my brother the exact opposite so I would try the one you want to make sure it fits your head type and is comfortable.

Get to an infinity shop, they may still have an xr left over

Bit late on this … What did you go for … I once got a lid from j&s wasn’t really the best place I’ve used … Tried it on they asked about comfort didn’t really tightly everywhere but they told me this was ok for this lid coz of the inflatable inner lining so I bought it after wearing it for a month on and off it don’t fit at all
I went to helmet city and it was a totally diffo experience … He measured my head I told him I liked the gt air he then fitted different internals to make it fit everywhere properly so I’m a large small … Top marks helmet city