Newbie first Post

I would just like to ask a question that’s been bugging me for quite a while, ‘’where have all the young riders gone’’? First of all I would like to qualify this buy mentioning that I am quite old but do remember quite clearly all my mates and me riding round disused land on old English bikes for hour after hour. This need to ride everyday has never left me and 40 years later I am still riding 15,000 miles a year.
I now run a successful Motorcycle Clothing Shop on the Cambs Herts boarder and can’t help but notice a decline in 17 to 25 year olds coming in to the shop over the last 2 to 3 years. Is this because this age group would rather spend time at home on an Xbox 360 than get out and about on a motorcycle?. Or is it that it is too expensive to get a bike and licence? Or is it parental pressure saying that ‘’no you can’t have a motorcycle (ped or scooter).
Most of the NEW customers we see today are 35-55 years old and are returning back to biking after having a family or going through a divorce and treating themselves, at last. Also while I am on the subject, where have all the Lady riders gone? Along with the youth or is it not now something that women do.
I am being slightly the Devils Advocate but my question is, have we lost these groups forever or will they ever return in any numbers? What do you think?

I would imagine that insurance costs are enough to put off all ages let alone young, first time, bikers…

Re lady riders - we suggest you open your eyes:w00t:

23 female rider here :slight_smile:
welcome

Sorry Girls I didn’t know there were so many of you. I only mentioned the lack of NEW girl riders as my wife (who has been riding for 10 years) mentioned at the weekend that there was not so many coming into the shop as there used to be. She has the proof on a database, so perhaps we are doing something wrong maybe?

Is yer shop expensive?:wink:

Costs too much!!

I spent just shy of a grand getting my full licence. Then another grand on the bike, a good few hundred on gear, another load on insurance…

service/tyres/petrol costs ect…

I only just managed it being 21 in full time work…

I’m young:D

It’s a fair point you make though. There are many young people about but I would suggest it’s a cash flow problem and weather dependant in some cases. Also I can only say this in my area of work and finance that the levels of lending has reduced greatly. Even squeeky clean 18yr olds struggle to get on without quarantors but then mum and dad have naff credit ratings or they just don’t want little timmy to have a bike.

:hehe:Welcome to LB:D

if you ve got good bike gear you dont want/need to change it every year

one of ours just got an estimate for £1400 for a 600!! and that person is 23:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

The young lads dont come into the shop these days as the knick everything they need :wink:

No we can’t be bothered to steal, I get my stuff from fleebay and I don’t even need to lift my ass up from the sofa :smiley:

I Am 25 and ride a Blackbird and ninja and got both fully com for 600 :slight_smile: with all the perks

im 20 and i know im in the minority but the moneys well worth spending 4 me :smiley:

I was without a job until I finished studying at 24 so even with a part time job, riding was prohibitive due to cost.

TBH id resort to ANY job to keep my bike! Most people my age just wanna waste their money on booze!

You hit the nail on the head there. It is the extortionate cost of a pint of beer that has bankrupted the young and prevented them from taking up more wholesome activities like biking. :slight_smile:

The 17 to 25 year olds are still riding bikes, the only difference is these days 90% just steal bikes instead of buying them, I doubt most 17 to 25 year olds ever bought road tax or insurance either!

Excuse me I work bloody hard to pay for my tax and insurance, as do all the other young riders/drivers that I know…