New rules

Okay the new rules are now live (link at bottom of page) and everyone is obliged to adhere to them. Thanks!

@Shaunicous you get a mention :slight_smile:

I feel so proud :smiley:

Alba, How much for half an hour?

Sorry Sam, I have to politely decline.
None of my girls are prepared to step into Essex.
We have to maintain our standards, I’m sure you’ll understand.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Awwww Alba you didn’t say you had girls - it looked like a personal ad :frowning:

Dang wanted to add no secretly filming body parts and uploading them. Suppose will have to wait for next upgrade.

Alba. I’m in South London, do your services extend that far :slight_smile:

Are there any thoughts on trolls? It was rumoured on the old forum that certain characters were created to make things more “interesting.” The reality was that that they were just a source of irritation and derailed most posts which quickly descended into playground arguments. What was worse was that there wasn’t an ignore function. Can we look to avoid this behaviour particularly internally and if some clown joins with the soul purpose of trolling give them short shift?

That and all commuter vloggers receive an instant ban. “Hi here’s a video of me riding like an imbecile, enjoy…”

Joby, dont be so harsh on yourself :smiley:

We’ve got plans to put in ways to make good posts more visible and bad ones less so, so it becomes self-defining and increases the quality of posts and therefore the community. This will require some experimentation and probably won’t be the only way to view the site. Certainly there’ll be the ability to down-vote crappy posts. An ignore feature isn’t a terrible idea. I was going to say all it would do though is mask a problem, but it’s a personal choice at the end of the day I guess.

Jay - when you say ‘nothing commercial’ in the rules, what exactly does that apply to? Would selling a bike and/or parts be considered this? (also thinking of Big D)

Thanks

I hate it when someone joins and the first and only post is pushing the sale of something

Sam - I fully agree with you. It was more for existing members who might be changing their bike, and seeing if anyone else here would be interested in it.

And the bike instructors on here - we still need them to be able to let people know they’re here for the newbies.

Will the site sponsorship still work?

Commercial posts are where people post with the aiming of promoting theirs or their close friends/families business either directly or indirectly. This includes sole traders.

Classified ads for personally-owned vehicles and other items are excluded.

These are the same rules in this context we’ve had since day one and are pretty universal.

Jetstream, the case you describe clearly has value for the community, though the fact remains it means that tradesmen are getting a free ride off the back of LB’s hard work, which isn’t right. I’d be interested in looking to see if we can make this work for everyone, i.e. an approval scheme where we affiliate with instructors but only those of the highest standard to ensure that our members get the very best start on two wheels. I’m a firm believer that instilling the best principles and practices early on results in the best long-term outcomes.

I’ll look into it.

i’m happy for people like riding instuctors, bike recovery, bike shops, bike repairs, bike breakers, and others slightly non bike related to post and politely invite people to get interest into their business. providing they ask permission to the admin before posting i dont see any wrong in that.

users who post solely to advertise their business once and without invite or introduction are spam.

Jay, is it possible to limit new threads from first time users to only the newbie section and nowhere else until you have posted like 5 times? just a thought.

Or until you confirmed some how…
Seen on other forums.

**R

Sorry silveR6, I have to disagree - you don’t spend thousands of hours working hard to build something and then give the benefits to someone else for free so they can gain off of your back. This works for Twitter and Facebook as they have an freemium business model where they give business’ free reign and then sell them a premium service. We don’t have that and it’s not appropriate here - the community is such that it’s very good at sharing knowledge and wisdom, it doesn’t need advertisers tell them about services, it can self-recommend as between us we have so many years experience we could probably ride to the sun and back if we added up our miles :slight_smile:

Heck, we don’t even have adverts currently as they detract from the member experience and don’t perform all that well anyhow. That said, we aren’t ruling out sponsorship opportunities in the future, but it would have to compliment the experience, not stand aside from or compromise it.

Myself and other contributors in the community are passionate about building the best online experience for bikers in London but that passion is not there to be exploited by others.

TBH, I get a bit fed up with Big_D posting a bike that he’s splitting for parts, people reply with great interest and he doesn’t revisit the thread for months.

Doing a bit of pontificating if anyone’s wondering where my last post went.