New house | Insurance

Hi guys,

As some of you might know I’ve been on the hunt for a new place and have found a few good spots in Muswell Hill.

Does anyone live out there and what’s insurance like? I remember calling up for quotes whilst living in E1 and simply got refused insurance. 

Hoping the chances will be better, the bike will be parked off street with a secure anchor. One of the other houses has a secure garage which I’m sure is more favourable. 

The bike will be a super sport 600 of one of the usual Japanese suspects.

Keen to hear thoughts on this.

JAX, by parked on the street you mean your driveway or front yard?  You can’t make a hole on a public road to fit a ground anchor, it can get you into expensive trouble with the council.

Guys, I advise you against sharing any more information on what bike security you may or may not have out in the open.

JAX, by parked on the street you mean your driveway or front yard?  You can't make a hole on a public road to fit a ground anchor, it can get you into expensive trouble with the council. WildBoy
You've misread mate, said the bike will be parked "off street". 
Guys, I advise you against sharing any more information on what bike security you may or may not have out in the open. Jay
Fair!

I think you should bend over and grit your teeth, coz you’re going to get well and truly raped with your insurance in that postcode and trying to get cover for a pretty little sports bike!

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php#E

There are an awful lot of postcodes marked as ‘motorbikes must be locked in secure garage’ on that list, at least 2 of which I’ve owned motorbikes in without a garage.

I’ve never entirely believed that bit, either. But I wouldn’t ever want to NOT garage my bike. I’ve moved from the highest bracket recently to the lowest and it’s made a huge difference to my premium.

@Janey, thanks for the info… almost starting to give up on this whole thing getting a bike. This country is impossible lol

I prefer the term “challenging”. Have you tried looking at renting a garage separately? I can’t think of any of the 'sites off the top of my head, but there are plenty of people who rent out their driveways and garages because they don’t use them. It all gets so expensive though!

@Janey That’s what I’m concluding. It all adds to the hassle, don’t have any issues like this what so ever in NZ but I guess it’s part of the fun over here. The headache at the moment is actually outweighing the joy of having a bike because I know I’ll be constantly worried if it’s stolen or not. Really sucks! 

Janey, how old is that list? JAX, I’d say create an account on gocompare.com and check how much it would cost to insure the bike with full post code (just don’t give real name or phone). For example where I live now, according to the list is E rating and cheapest insurance would be £211 with excess of £875. While checking post code with F rating, I get quote for £139 with £300 excess.

Lol just went through gocompare.com and here is the response: "

We're really sorry, but on this occasion we are unable to provide you with an online quote." 

Useless fucks...

Errrrr, I dunno. Shrugs shoulders. I use it a guide and I know that it’s not definitive, as so many other things are taken into account (or not!) when it comes to the random figures you get given by the insurance companies. I do know that I’ve changed addresses four times in just over a year and that list has been fairly reflected in my premiums.

@Janey, any recommendation on a postcode that is low risk? New to London and unsure on this one…

So Jax, what are your feelings on owning a scooter? :grin:

Janey
I'd rather break my wrists haha

Janey
haha...
@Jax you could try looking for the 'a/b' rating post codes - and go from there. But the question is - how long do you want your commute to be? and what other life style choices does it need to fit in with.

I’ve only ever lived in the suburbs and now we’ve moved completely outside London, so I’m not the best person to ask about where to look for a cheaper insurance bracket. Are you flexible on where you can live? In general, the further out you go, the property prices are better and you’re more likely to find something with a garage as the demand for space isn’t quite as bad.

use thebikeinsurer