New Energica RS gets you 0-60 in 2.6 seconds

Is that direct law that the UK has passed?

If it just EU Law which is directly applicable, then when we Brexit it will no longer apply to us and I’ll definitely get mown down in a car park by a KFC munching DPD man.

Back on topic, I really should get out and try an electric bike

1 Like

If it’s UK law now, it’ll be UK law after Brexit and that UK Gov article does seem to suggest so, though it would have been helpful if they had linked to the actual legislation article.

EU legislation that’s UK law will be continue to be UK law after Brexit (Jan 2021):

I was mistakenly kind to the government, as this was a regulation and not a directive it became law in the U.K. automatically. The government did not even have to implement it to become a global leader, they just did nothing and it just happened to them by accident.

But E.U. laws will remain in effect following the transition period unless specifically excluded because it would be impossible to replace every law which came from the E.U. over the past almost 50 years in the space of a few years. The only difference is that they will be frozen as of that date, so if the E.U. make any amendments those will no longer be reflected in British law.

So it is a matter of British law until the government decide to repeal it. But that particular regulation is explicitly required by the Northern Ireland protocol, so has to be applied in Northern Ireland. Which makes a repeal for the rest of the U.K. extremely unlikely. Well, unless the government decide to break international law by violating treaty obligations.

Besides which, the Vehicle Certification Agency has already said they intend to remain aligned with E.U. requirements anyway. And The Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2020, which was made this summer, made it a criminal offence to fail to comply with regulation 540/2014.

And required or not, will it be worthwhile for manufacturers to make different versions of vehicles for Great Britain to those they are producing for the island of Ireland, Cyprus, and Malta? Particularly if it means someone from Great Britain will not be able to drive their car abroad.

The biggest irony of taking back control™ is that circumstances will make it that, one way or another, we will often have the same requirements imposed on us but will no longer get a say (or veto) in deciding them.

It does, under " EU Exit and the Implementation Period" : “Not all EU legislation will form part of UK law after IP completion day. The EU legislation that will be retained in UK law is set out in sections 3 and 20(1), and Schedule 6, to the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018

Section 3 says anything which is currently an E.U. originated law remains in effect.

Section 20(1) just provides interpretations.

Schedule 6 provides exemptions for E.U. legislation which will not remain in law. Which seems to only be those which bind member states to international agreements with third countries made by the E.U., or anything which stem from those agreements. (This is what title V of T.E.U. concerns).

1 Like

Aye to all of the above.

Ah, sorry, I mean, link to the EV low-speed noise law.

An E.U. regulation automatically becomes law in all member states from the time it is adopted. It does not have to be implemented, like an E.U. directive, so a regulation does not have a parallel domestic law.

The process is that a regulation automatically becomes law in the U.K., as well as the other 27 members, the moment it is adopted. This occurs under section 3 the European Communities Act 1972, which recognizes an E.U. instrument as a matter of law. This obviously includes any amendments made to a regulation.

After the end of the transition period that section of the Act will cease to have effect, but regulations in the form as adopted at that time, unless exempted, will instead be given domestic effect under section 3 of the Withdrawal Act. So unaffected by any future amendments.

So this is the actual law in the U.K., there is no separate act or statutory instrument providing the same provisions or explicitly giving it effect:

2 Likes

This is the problem (or benefit) of a dualist system.

Personally, I would not trust the government as far as I could throw them. We’ve seen how they intended to break the law ‘in very specific circumstances’ :flushed:

I’ve also run cases where the UK government has not fully incorporated EU law and my client considered obtaining a Francovich declaration. I really do think we had the best of both worlds as a member of the EU. We were not under the cosh as so many eurosceptics would have you believe. We kept our currency, generally implemented our own laws and those forced on us by the EU actually had some real benefit. Plus easy access to the EU and all those awesome roads was a benefit to me in my own selfish way. If it costs more for a bike trip to the EU post-brexit booooo

1 Like

Yep, Brexit was a scam perpetrated on the masses to benefit a few hard core Brexiters. There is almost zero benefit to the average joe smoe.

There is a lot of speculation that it was to get out of the new money laundering regulations and the OJEU process so that money from government can easily flow to those “friends and businesses”.

But perhaps I’m being utterly cynical.

2 Likes

Not cynical. I’m listening to audible ‘The Panama Papers’ what a bunch of bent bastards !

1 Like

It’s just the tip of the iceberg. For better view of the dark world of ultra-rich money laundering/
protection read this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moneyland-Thieves-Crooks-Rule-World/dp/1781257930/ref=sr_1_1