New A40 SPEED cameras

And now the wait begins anew.

Now on the A406 (North Circular) too

Signs up this morning advising A40 average speed cameras go live 27th October.

Thanks for the headsup.

The sign showing under Hillingdon station on the A40 heading into London said all weekend that they were already live, ‘A40 average speeds cameras now live.’

Thanks for making my commute that little bit longer and more boring TFL

+1

I tried doing an alternative route, Bayswater Rd, Shepherds Bush, A4020 through Acton and on to Southall.
It took even longer than doing the A40 at 40 mph all the way ;-(

I’ve tried a few alternatives but the reality is that at most times the A40 is still the quickest. As someone has already mentioned the combination of traffic and lights means that at most times during the day you would actually have to try quite hard to get a ticket on most sections (apart from the elevated section where going quite quickly is generally easy)

I go back and forth down the A40 twice a day - that’s four journeys where I am reduced to a painful 40mph thanks to these cameras. I’m seriously considering getting a stealthplate - google it to find the website - as the youtube video looks convincing, but I’m not finding any reviews online of people who have successfully bought one…

Anyone know what the threshold is with these average speed cameras? Are you going to get a fine for an average of 41 mph between cameras on the Westway?

Normally 10% + 2 over… That would make it 46 mph average…

40mph on the A40 flyover is very painful but it’s still the quickest road out west. I’ve tried going the A4/M4 but that’s even worse as the lanes are more narrow and a lot more congestion…

On the plus side, my bike does 66mpg at that speed. But I agree, it’s bloody painful trying to keep to 40, if I had to travel it everyday I’d be looking at cruise control or a speed limiter.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/average_speed_cameras_on_a40_tic

Fucking hell, took a bit of effort before a decent answer…

Thanks for link Michaels. A shame they dont disclose the minimum speed for which they fined motorists

I’m not surprised they won’t reveal the minimum speed but with only 12 tickets being issued per day you can be pretty sure it wasn’t 41mph! If they ever drop the current trigger speed they could pave the A40 with gold with the money they’d make.

Always overtaken by a couple of cars/bikes doing 50+ on the overpass to paddington

with only 1124 tickets they can’t be going for anyone below 70.

on here as they’d have thousands a week

I can see why they wouldn’t reveal the threshold but it would’ve been nice to know. It’s not fun trying to stick to 40 while people are overtaking me at 50+