Need New Helmet - "Flip Face"

:laugh: Ooooh yes :wink:

I remember that FBOS too, BB you did consider changing to a full face helmet and the reason was in case the flip mechanism was jammed in an accident. If you remember one of the demo helmets was a flip front, accident damaged, and it jammed during one of the sessions, the Paramedics couldnā€™t get it open.

To the OP, the double D ring is good apparantly because you have to adjust it each time you put it on whereas the clip type is adjusted once and hardly ever again so can easily be too loose when your turn to hit the road comes.

Iā€™ve just bought a new helmet and was told a story about a chap who had a transit van drive over his head . . . damaged the helmet but he survived and came back in to buy another . . . that was a full face helmet and the possibility of having your head under a moving vehicle in an accident is apparantly surprisingly high, so a full face it is for me.

Iā€™ve got the standard Caberg matt black lid and its fine. You get what you pay for so its no more than it should be at the price. The internal dark visor is useful on days like today.:cool:

Iā€™ve been wearning a Shoei Multitec nearly a year now - love the flip, especially when petrol stations who previously had wanted me to take my helmet off to fill up now let me get on with it. V comfy but a bit noisy. Schuberths are meant to be quiet and if I remember an old RiDE noise test the company also makes BMW flip helmets.

Hang onā€¦ here it is. Back in 2006, but the BMW flip came 2nd ahead of lots of fullfacers http://www.ridetriangles.com/pdf/543/204009.pdf

Only prob someone told me is that they get hot in summer, whereas the Shoei is airy (probably a direct correlation with the noise. hmm)

Anyway, two cents there from a newbie

i have the Nolan N-Com N102 it has the sun visor and as the name suggests comes ready to link up with wires or wirelessly by bluetooth.

The noiseproofing for using the comms system is great BUT the wind chill in the colder months is an issue if not wearing earplugsā€¦

I have it as a second helmet and itā€™s OK but wouldnā€™t really recommend it as your only or first choice lid

ah okayā€¦yeah i was looking at this oneā€¦whats the noise like and waterproofness? the other person doing the test had one similar to what you described and it looked pretty neat!

Son has a Caberg ā€œtripā€ with the internal sun visor. Works a dream on sunny days but it leaks. In rain water gets inside the clear visor and canā€™t be easily wiped off.

For wet weather and serious riding he has an HJC carbon fibre thing that weighs about the same as a pair of decent gloves.

He always wears ear plugs or his MP3, so he canā€™t honestly pass comment on noise, but says the HJC is a lot quieter at speed.

i was actually meaning to start a thread about thisā€¦spotted this

http://www.joppen.nl/images/nieuws/mathissers.jpg

the mathisse RS

in BIKE mag a couple months agoā€¦was wondering flips up were anygood in general or if anyone had tried oneā€¦ guess u were too fast for me 2fast4u!

haha lovin tha last line!

that helmet looks a lot like the caberg onesā€¦as far as i know they wuda patented the inner visor design so hmm!

with regards to helmetā€™sā€¦after some searching and all ur helpful info i may give these lidā€™s a miss.
cabergā€™s have a slight rain issue
shoei multi-tec looks like the best buy great but is Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£
bmwā€™s are expensive
nolanā€™s have sunvisor problems

hopefully in the coming years, helmet manufacturers may put more reasearch into these and bring out some revised modelā€™s.

in the meantime ill prob just hunt down a normal lid :slight_smile:

Err totally waterproof. The noise is okay but its not exactly whisper quiet. I donā€™t usually wear earplugs for my commute but you would probably want them if you were regularly riding distance but thats probably true of most lids. It is matt black but keeping it clean is not a problem- soapy water every so often. In winter the ventilation can be a bit too effective- sometimes a bit drafty- but in this heat the vents work nicely. Hope this is useful.:slight_smile:

What about the newish Shoie Multitec, tried one on last week, much lighter than my Caburg Justisimmo which has served me well. The flip down sun visor has not been the boon I hoped it would be as shortly after its purchase I got a pair of photochromatic sunglasses from specsavers. I do find the flip face is great for a quick Marlborough at the lights when Im feeling psychotic and they think I`m really nice in the petrol stations and National Trust tea ladies love me, speaking of which, how many of you are members of the National Trust or any other semi secret organisations? Is it right that such memberships, on the surface legal and above board should lead to insidious persecution from shadowy government sponsored organisations? Only last week on leaving Charwell (former home of Sir Winston Churchill, leader of our nation at a time of extreme peril) we were followed for several miles by an innocent looking Imprezza which we lost through age and treachery (this involved three rapid and somewhat risky circuits of the roundabout near Godstone before heding south down the A22, not the way home) feeling somewhat smug we di a U-turn to head for home. Approaching Purley we encountersd a police roadblock which slowed our progress. On reaching the front of the queue we were unceremoniously pulled from our two year old Triumph Daytona into a green Mercedes Sprinter van en route for Biggin Hill and extrordinary rendition ensued. No complimentary drinks and air hostesses for us, after six weeks we know not where my self-evident insanity procured our release. Now, after six months in a secure unit I am ready and willing to lead a ride-out to Clivedon. Any takers?

just done 2000 miles in 4 days, through weather ranging from tropically hot and humid to cold and misty, with torrential rain thrown in :slight_smile: my justissimo helmet worked like a charm, no fogging problems (just pop it open a touch, as I am behind a good fairing and screen so airflow not as good as naked bike)I wore the helmet for 10-15 hours a day and it was very comfortable, the flip top made talking easy and increased cooling at slow speeds, I had no real noise problems as most of the time I wore earplugs, the internal sun-visor is an absolute ā€œmust haveā€ it makes a world of difference to eyestrain, and acts as a final defence against bugs when toodling around with the main visor up, havenā€™t crash tested it yet ,and if its OK with you Iā€™ll pass on that :stuck_out_tongue: