National Book Day

Today was apparently the National Book Day. So, to ‘celebrate’ it, a small questionnaire:

1. What book, if any, are you currently reading?
  2. What book you have recently enjoyed?
  3. What book have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to it yet?
  4. What book did you start to read but never finished, and why?

I’ll start:

1. I’m currently reading “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy (in Finnish) and “The finer points of sausage dogs” by Alexander McCall Smith (in English). I often have 2-3 books on the go.
  2. The 2005 book highlight for me was “The Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
  3. I’ve always wanted to read “Don Quixote” by Miguel de Cervantes, and will hopefully start that by the end of the year. I aim to finish it by the end of 2007.
  4. I started “Ulysses” by James Joyce but decided that life was too short. I just had no idea what was going on.

Rossi’s biography

1. What book you have recently enjoyed?

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

1. What book have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to it yet?

Forever Free - Joe Haldeman

1. What book did you start to read but never finished, and why?

Several Stephen King books - I just couldn’t get into them. However, MISERY was outstanding.

1- Amarse con los ojos abiertos - Sergio Bucay and Silvia Salinas. Couples therapy kind of thing, very interesting view point. A guy gets a series of e-mails by mistake and it’s from female terapist working on a research on couples relationships and submitting the charpters to a collegue (but it goes to a wrong address). He start to read it and find himself guilt as charged.

2- El diario de Veronica - A high society protitute from barcelona tells her adventures coming from a high background and enjoying working on the night. Some are there becouse they need, she liked it!

3- London under London- About the old tunnels under London – Too fucking big!

4- Carl Fogarty - He’s so arrogant that I got sick on the book

1: The Universe in a Nutshell, by Stephen Hawking
2: Judas Unchained, by Peter F Hamilton
3: War & Peace, got it sitting there, waiting…
4: A Twist of the Wrist… not because it was boring, but because I was too eager to get out riding!

I have less time for books nowadays, LB takes up most of my evenings, but I might get an early night tonight and see if I can soak up some Quantum Mechanics or String Theory.

Pete, sounds like you and I have interests that cross paths… I take it you’ve read Neuromancer, by Gibson?

Great topic, Paivi…

The System of the World - Neal Stephenson (Volume 3 - The Baroque Cycle)

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed - Jared Diamond

I have “The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East” - Robert Fisk…all 1,136 pages of it…on my nightstand. I want to devote my entire attention to it so have been waiting to take it on vacation with me in April.

I never leave a book (or magazine or trade/academic journal) unread. If I start it, I finish it…no matter how poorly written it turns out to be.

Now : Sun Tzu - The Art of War expanded edition with commentary

Recently : Rossi’s “What if I had never tried it” and Sebastian Faulks’s “Birdsong”

The Bible - to see what all the fuss is about

Like KSG, I don’t leave books half read, but I had to take a break from Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything (it wasn’t short enough alas and my head busted).

Top topic :-)…

Time Travellers Wife

Curious Incident ( of the dog in the night time )

Koran

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett - just got bored of it ( only about 20 pages to go !)

Rossi’s “What if I had never tried it”
    Monster “An autobiograohy of an LA gang member”

“The Damage Done” (Brutal account of warren fellows life in a Bankok prison)
    “Chickenhawk” by Rober Mason (huey pilot in vietnam)
    “Fifty dead men walking” (true story of IRA Infiltration by a British agent)

“Rise and fall of the third reich” ( very big book )

“Looking for trouble” by General Sir peter del la Billiere
    lent it to a friend and never got it back!!!

1. What book, if any, are you currently reading? The Chamber by John Grisham
  2. What book you have recently enjoyed? The Broker by John Grisham
  3. What book have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to it yet? can’t think at the mo!
  4. What book did you start to read but never finished, and why? Pride & Prejudice - just couldn’t get into it!
  1. What book, if any, are you currently reading? MasterHarper a dragon’s of pern book.
  2. What book you have recently enjoyed? Thud (Teery Pratchet diskworld)
  3. What book have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to it yet? War and Peace by tolstoy
  4. What book did you start to read but never finished, and why? Carl Foggarties auotbiography, could he be any further up his own a***.

Thank you Dan! I should never had started Foggys book, lost all my respect for him…