My GSX-R 1000 rebuild begins

After 14 months of neglect, sitting sad under cover outside, with only our cat as company, me and my mate uncovered the GSX-R and loaded it into his van to be transported to it’s new home where it will be stripped to the chassis and rebuilt with some nice parts.

I’ve learnt so far that Suzuki’s don’t rust any faster than other Japanese machines (contrary to popular opinion), as there was very little surface rust although the bike was washed and dumped in ACF 50 before being covered up and left outside for over a year.

Just about to wash the bike

Jack (our cat) loves this bike and is going to be pi$$ed when he sees that it’s gone.

Clean(ish) now. I wasn’t going to go town on it as the bike will be super cleaned later

I always end up working on bikes in the dark as there always something else I have to do before finishing

Why did you have that sitting under a cover for 14 months? Why weren’t you looning about on it? :w00t:

Redundancy, recession, and other nasty words beginning with R.

Yeah - know where your coming from - the last year has been tough.

Anyway - looking forward to your rebuild - the Suzi doesn’t look in bad shape though.

Planning on doing similar to my Hornet later this year - will be a total strip down to the frame - cleaning of all the rust, repainting, replacing bearings - the works.

I was shocked and amazed.

Most of the bolts weren’t even furred.

The one’s that are are prime candidates for titanium replacements. Yakshemash :smiley:

R1? Rim tape? Rectal bleeding? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

So is there actually anything wrong with it beyond needing a good wash & a thorough service?

Or have you just discovered a wodge of cash down the back of the sofa & decided to spend it getting the bike tricked up before the missus finds out?

That’s the one :smiley:

But yeah the bike is fine, but seeing as I don’t plan on getting anything else for a good number of years, I may as well bring it up to the latest spec.

Whats actually wrong with it mate?

Looks very tidy and well kept! :smiley:

Was running and fully working when I cleaned it and covered it up at the end of 2009, but it hasn’t been started since. It’s just been sat there outside.

I could just get it serviced and put straight back on the road…

…but where’s the adventure in that :smiley:

I’m doing this now while I can…Roll on summer :smiley:

Some of you will know that Suzuki initiated a manufacturer assessment on all 05-06 GSX-R 1000s, due to rare cases of frames cracking or completely breaking apart.

A brace will be fitted in all cases, and the frame will be replaced if a defect is found. All labour and parts for free thankfully.

I’m going to have mine assessed, but discovered yesterday that if I dismantle the bike any more, then Suzuki won’t touch it.

I was hoping to just give them the frame.

So, work will continue after I cart the bike to a dealers next week. :cool:

Check the airbox for nesting mice before you fire it up! :smiley:

Nah…I wanna surprise the fuggers :smiley:

:smiley:

Progress is slow at the moment because circumstances have changed (AGAIN) to having a lack of time and money.

The bling bits of Ohlins suspension and Akrapovic system will have to remain in the spare room (no cash to set up the bike for them), and the race is on to get the bike back up and running as standard for a Royal blast.

Tank off reveals spaghetti of power commander and injector wiring.

I found a purple powder residue on top of the engine and on the inside of the frame. I suspect it is dried coolant, but how did it get here?

Heavy aluminium corrosion on rad and oil cooler :sad:

Tomorrow I will attack it with Holts aluminium polish and then spray the lot with a high temperature black paint :cool:

Jobs to do:

Valve clearance check (hope I won’t need to put new shims in as that’s a cams out job)
Radiator and oil cooler polish and paint
Change fork oil
Change chain and sprockets
Grease and install new shock linkage bearings
Put on Brembo master cylinder
Clean out engine bay
Buy and install a new battery
Oil, coolant, sparks, brake fluid change
Bodywork back on.

MOT, Tax, insurance.

Ride :cool:

Yep, cutting it fine.

So what happened regarding the possible cracked frame, did you take it to the dealers?

The frame thing was only ever a precaution really. Despite media attention, cracking and more so breaking is quite rare.

Southern Cross had a look and found nothing untoward, then they put the Suzuki strengthening bracket on. Job done.

always liked the all black gsxr’s, I have seen a few guys with them wearing all black leathers and tinted visors… surely asking not to be seen by car drivers?

Nice work.

Hope it all comes together bud.

My philosophy is that it’s not that car drivers don’t see bikers, some of them don’t look for them. That’s the main point that means sometimes it doesn’t matter what you wear (although a helmet that contrasts with the rest of your gear is a good idea as that is what is seen first).

Saying that, it’s not all car drivers fault. There are probably just as many c0cks on bikes as there are in cars.

Many situations where a biker gets knocked off could possibly have been avoided by the use of their horn (if they looked at the cars wheels and saw them start to move), slowing down on the approach to junctions (knowing there is a junction approaching by looking for those painted signs the government sticks up), or changing position on the road as you approach the waiting car so that your bike is no longer hidden in their blind spot (a Ford Puma with MASSIVE A pillars around the windscreen easily obscures an approaching bike).

[quote]
PJ (26/04/2011)

Cheers Paul. How’s the Kawasaki coming along. Ready to Race? :cool:

[quote]
Afro (26/04/2011)

My philosophy is that it’s not that car drivers don’t see bikers, some of them don’t look for them. That’s the main point that means sometimes it doesn’t matter what you wear (although a helmet that contrasts with the rest of your gear is a good idea as that is what is seen first).

Saying that, it’s not all car drivers fault. There are probably just as many c0cks on bikes as there are in cars.

Many situations where a biker gets knocked off could possibly have been avoided by the use of their horn (if they looked at the cars wheels and saw them start to move), slowing down on the approach to junctions (knowing there is a junction approaching by looking for those painted signs the government sticks up), or changing position on the road as you approach the waiting car so that your bike is no longer hidden in their blind spot (a Ford Puma with MASSIVE A pillars around the windscreen easily obscures an approaching bike).

Its all done bar a few panels needing spraying. Off to Mallory for a trackday on friday, so should be able to give it a good shake down then, provided the weather holds off, if not then i get a chance to use the wets :stuck_out_tongue: