My bike was stolen on weds night

Porkscratchin,

Take it your cars have a separate tracker device fitted inside. Do you still have the 4 little aerials on the roof or have things moved on ??

I really hope your vehicle is recovered…Let us know how you get on.

Ok, not that this is going to help you but let’s clear something up here. Some Met cars do have Tracker fitted, but on borough it will only be the Area cars (usually 2 per borough). Traffic cars do have them also but traffic units have been cut and cut over the years so there aren’t that many out there during the day. Oh and when they are they will be dealing with many more major things like serious and fatal accidents.

From my experience of Tracker it is not that accurate and buildings etc can skew the signal making it very difficult to narrow it down. Many years ago it took me and a colleague around 2 hours solid on a quiet night duty to narrow down the area where a nicked motor was. Even then it took us to a load of lock-up garages and we had to get a guy from Tracker out the next day with a more accurate hand-held unit to pinpoint which one it was in.

It’s better than nowt but it will never be as handy as TPFT or Comp insurance !

Seems to me the cops will only bother with trackers etc when they are on cars cos normally these are fast cars etc an may be used in robberies etc. if they get a bike from tracker i reckon its just by luck and the tracker pipes up when they pass it etc.

Question is really is it worth paying all that out for a tracker instead put it to your insurance cover.

Would it not be a good idea if the tracker compnay had tracker cars to look for said vehicle?

I’d have thought with todays technology it would have been possible to triangulate a position like they do for tracking mobile phones

i’m pretty sure i’ve seen that 97% figure bandied about with the tracker units

looks like they told Jay something similar in this article:

http://londonbikers.com/articles/d6feff62-3a73-4a24-8b74-86261b702cd6

Sorry to hear this mate - hope it works out for you and if you ever find the little punks that nicked it, give them a bi*$h slap!!! I have nightmare’s about this sort of thing, th bike being stolen not the bi*$h slapping, and opted to pay fully comp on the insurance as oppose to getting the tracker unit fitted.

Bikerbecs :cool:

P.S. Keep your chin up mate!

sorry to hear this mate

even if ya do have tpft or fully comp ins u still wouldn’t want ur bike nicked, prevention is better than cure, so once again get an anchor and a f*&^ off chain, theres a lot of bikes being nicked lately, any1 without the proper security is jus too much of an easy target.

That’s really bad news about your bike, hope you find it. This has really put me off getting a Tracker now!
But I do like the idea of tracking your bike down your self with a bunch of your mates!! I am sure some where in the world some body makes a do it your self tracker kit!!.
I have GPS software on my laptop, in my phone and Gps in the car, so I sure it can be done!!!

Yeah it can be done, but the problem, like Sean said earlier, is that GPS generally requires line of sight to operate so the bike would have to be left outside and the thieves generally keep the bikes out of site in a lock up.

My GPS phone does however work indoors, so maybe with a powerful enough antenna, GPS technology can be a potential solution in vehicle tracking applications.

I wouldn’t rate it’s reliability or accuracy as high as a Tracker though.

As an aside, does anyone know what technology is employed in Formula 1 and Moto GP to track the very valuable vehicles used in those racing classes?

I’ve posted some pics of my Y anchor in Parts & accessories ( I think) - good cheap bit of security :slight_smile:

The modern day Police can only be described as Bloody useless!

PaulNagle:Any news on your bike yet mate?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry to hear about you bike mate

I was told by a cop less and less police cars have the tracker unit in them as the Tracker Co. have stopped paying to put their units in police cars and the Met won’t pay for them either.

You really are better off getting a decent lockable bike cover to keep your bike out of sight (R&G £45.99)a great bike chain (try Almax) and a good alarm.

Tracker is used on most formula1, bsb, wsb (the american founders for outside of europe) and “most” MotoGP teams! (these high profile clients is where a lot of the technology is tested/developed)

I’m in the process of testing the accuracy of mobile phone online tracking.

Watch this space:cool: