Multiple bikes or one all purpose bike?

That depends… Are you going to have 2 bikes and no money to ride them? If so whats the point?

I have two bikes, did not see the point in selling the NSR.
At the moment it’s waiting for a top end rebuild.
Ninja gets used for everything work,fun ect.

I was mocked when I made that statement… But I’m glad other people are taking up the cause of the c90.

Just remember, you want the pre 1985 (I Think) model when it had the round headlight… :smiley:

C90 would probably be an absolute riot. There is something romantic about those simple faithful bikes.

CBF1000 for Europe. KTM 450 exc for Africa.

Simples :smiley:

But with one bike it is always a compromise. Two (or more) bikes does open up more riding - but obviously costs a small fortune so is not always an option. Just win the lottery then you can get a commuter / a weekender / a tourer and a green laner. Job done.

I have had two bikes at the same time before - an old 1988 Honda Bros 600 and a Honda 1977 400/4 - which I took on as a ‘project’. However, neither of those bikes worked! I have had the Street Triple for 3 years and it is a great all rounder - but best for rides out in the countryside. I am planning on getting somebody else to do my mods on it - adjustable forks, rear shocks, new shiny straight handle bars and aftermarket clutch lever, bright headlights and Daytona Monoblock Calipers, plus orange wheel rims (to go with the arrow low boy :slight_smile: ) If I had the money I would modify mine and also get the Street R - new model, plus something solid like a Honda Fireblade and an off roader…

Right off to the newsagent’s now for a lottery ticket.:smiley:

I guess technically I have two bikes, but one is a track bike, so it’s not like I have a decision what to ride at the weekend.

I have been toying with the idea of a tourer again as a third bike. Looking at costs, what really changes -

1) Petrol costs. Nope, you don’t ride them both at the same time. You probably don’t now do more miles.

1. Insurance. Someone please tell me. In theory it shouldn’t go up much (see above). I guess you’re twice as likely to have a bike stolen?

2. Service and maintenance costs. Well, if you’re riding enough that your services are dictated by mileage rather than 12 months at a time, this probably wont go up (see point 1)

3. Tax. Yep, once a year, £60-£70 extra.

4. Riding gear. Only if you get a different colour bike and want gear to match it!

So pending point 2 and of course the actual outlay for the bike, is it really that expensive to have a second/third bike?

insurance: for me it did go up but ok not double the amount… but about 30%

riding gear: unless you’re driving different style (i.e. offroader) you probably won’t need them unless you are vain :smiley:

I think it is more costly to run 2 bikes a fair bit.

I know your not doing so many miles but still I seem to need a set for both bikes once a year, 2 services etc etc, it all adds up.

Plus for me the idea of 2 bikes is to have 2 different riding experiances so gear to suit each I think is more costly.

But, I wouldn’t sell either of mine having the vfr 400 & bmw 650 dakar. I love them both for very different reasons.

If I could I’d like at least 2 or 3 more??! Can you ever own enough?

Insurance is not much more (around £75 extra for me) but not every company does multi bike so check it out beforehand or you’ll have to end your policy and start a new one.

Errrrrrrm - if I won the lottery there would be no commuting… Unless going to the track is classed as commuting!:smiley:

I meant a set of tyres lol

It’s funny when you always end up having to change bikes on both bikes at the same time… oh that’s costly!!!

Yeah I have spent a fair bit more…

It would seem that having more than one bike, is like girls having more than one handbag! (Or shoes)

Mmmmm very interesting psychology here.

One would assume that both are of similar species.

Makes interesting reading.

A scooter with a top box
That’s close to a hand bag
Pin

I’m doing it wrong. I have two bikes and they’re essentially the same bikes. Although both do everything incredibly well :slight_smile:

Want to go on some green lanes? :smiley:

Well looks like another bike it is then. I’ll have a look into some tourers and as soon as the weather improves test ride a couple of them. So far I’m very keen on Triumph Sprint ST, looks like the perfect touring bike

Done it on the gsr. Was fine in the dry :smiley:
Had a little problem with ground clearance though haha

You will want to test ride them in the cold/wet/dark - if its nice and no faults (hmmm not sure about the triumph in that situation:Whistling:) then you will know whether to buy it or not - in the sun/warm lazy saturday afternoon with barely any traffic what will you really learn/discover about it - lets face it we barely get any of that nice weather in this country anyway so your “tourer” needs to be tested in the most common weather that it’s likely to face the most! (just a tip and advice from someone that used to sell bikes - very well!):smiley: