Motorists in London to be charged for every journey

Motorists across the whole of London could be charged for every journey from 2024 under plans being drawn up to reduce carbon emissions and improve air quality.

I realise this is not a fully worked out proposal yet but it’s one to keep an eye on. It mentions all motorists at the start, but go on to mention “cars” specially later in the piece.

I read the BBC piece on this, don’t think it has even entered consultation yet so still a way to go.

What frustrates me is I would genuinely have no issue with Public Transport if it was not for the fact its about £1’500 a year cheaper for me to commute on my motorbike (inc everything, petrol, insurance, mot’s service and general wear and tear over the year.) and on top of it, with the bike I’m guaranteed a seat all the way in

3 Likes

It’s part of the war between No 10 and City Hall.

Just look at how under-funded public transport in London is.

Also London is not allowed to retain its share of VED which results in the farcical situation that Tube passengers pay for the upkeep of our arterial roads.

2 Likes

It has not. The final report on making London net zero by 2030 was published today, and in his response to it the Mayor laid out a number of options for TfL to explore and consult on. So it is nowhere near the granular stage of determining vehicles exemptions yet.

Here is the report:

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/nz2030_element_energy.pdf

The only mention of motorcycles is:

Motorcycles: Motorcycles represented 1% of transport emissions in 2018. The High Electrification, High Hydrogen and Accelerated Green scenarios assume decarbonisation in line with the MTS scenario, reaching 100% BEV fleet share in 2050 (50% sales share in 2030). The No Constraints accelerates this target to reach 100% BEV fleet share in 2046 (76% sales share in 2030).

I am not sure where the numbers for the Mayor’s Transport Strategy scenario come from as I cannot see them in it.

There is no mention of motorcycles or even motor vehicles in the mayor’s response to the report, it mainly only refers to cars:

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/london_net_zero_2030_-an_updated_pathway-_gla_response_1.pdf

(Hmm, the forum code thinks the underscores mean italic and break the link.)