Motorcycles in Bus lanes: A full list

Irritatingly, those maps appear to show that the A23 from the border of the congestion charge to Westminster Bridge is not TFL but is Lambeth! Lambeth make a furtune fro mthsoe bus lanes asmy colleagues know to their cost, so that isn’t likely to change!

so even though the signs dont say bikes are allowed your saying i can ride in a bus lane in kingston?

intresting!

Not quite. You have to look for the signs. From Kingston’s website:Some vehicles other than buses are allowed to travel in bus lanes. The blue plates next to the lanes show which vehicles are allowed. In Kingston these are licensed taxis and pedal cycles, as shown in the sign above. Motorcycles are allowed to travel in some bus lanes. Where this is the case, the blue plate would be similar to the one shown but with a motorcycle symbol.

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/transport_and_streets/parking/parking_and_traffic_appeals.htm#buslane

A couple of points from using the bus lanes including A23:1) There are stretches where the bus lane tarmac has longitudinal ripples in it, I think caused by heavy breaking by buses at bus stops and traffic lights- this should really be sorted out by the powers that be but in the meantime people should be aware.2) Get to know where the bus stops (and temporary bus stops) are on your route so you can anticipate when the bus in front is going to pull over. They don’t always indicate and sometimes just slam their brakes on if someone rings the bell late.3) Obviously look out for peds crossing in front of the bus (from both sides- including people running for the bus, for instance)4) More than one bus ahead means one of them WILL try to overtake the other at the next bus stop- and they very rarely indicate before pulling out. If you go past give them plenty of room. Buses also regularly pull out from a bus stop and straight into the ‘normal’ lane even though the bus lane is free. I wonder why they do this but maybe it is to avoid the aforementioned ripples?5) Take extra care moving from a jammed lane into the bus lane- buses travel sometimes well over the speed limit and don’t seem to look for bikes moving into the lane to make progress.6) Bus drivers believe they own the road and require re-education (this is only my personal opinion):wink:

All the bus lanes operated by Kingston that are on roads I use (New Malden and Norbiton side) have signs with motorcycles on them. I don’t know of any others, but I beleive TFL does not have any bus lanes in the Borough.

Thanks for posting that!

Let’s hope that those councils who’re opposed to having us in their bus lanes see what a great success this trial is bound to be, and change their minds. :slight_smile:

"If anyone has specific points they would like me to raise regarding safe use of the bus lanes then let me know and I’ll have a word"A couple of points from using the bus lanes including A23:1) There are stretches where the bus lane tarmac has longitudinal ripples in it, I think caused by heavy breaking by buses at bus stops and traffic lights- this should really be sorted out by the powers that be but in the meantime people should be aware.2) Get to know where the bus stops (and temporary bus stops) are on your route so you can anticipate when the bus in front is going to pull over. They don’t always indicate and sometimes just slam their brakes on if someone rings the bell late.3) Obviously look out for peds crossing in front of the bus (from both sides- including people running for the bus, for instance)4) More than one bus ahead means one of them WILL try to overtake the other at the next bus stop- and they very rarely indicate before pulling out. If you go past give them plenty of room. Buses also regularly pull out from a bus stop and straight into the ‘normal’ lane even though the bus lane is free. I wonder why they do this but maybe it is to avoid the aforementioned ripples?5) Take extra care moving from a jammed lane into the bus lane- buses travel sometimes well over the speed limit and don’t seem to look for bikes moving into the lane to make progress.6) Bus drivers believe they own the road and require re-education (this is only my personal opinion):wink:
[/quote]
Thanks mate I have added the bus lane road condition and buses overtaking buses situation to the list of potential hazards (others were already covered). Anymore anyone?

The most important one is that other vehicles will cross the bus lane to get to and from roads, petrol stations, private drives etc, so always travel in bus lanes at a speed that will allow you to be seen and allow you to stop in time if a vehicle emerges. Earlier this year a motorcyclist was killed in Kingston when a car turned across his path when he was using the bus lane.

if what Giuliano and Stem just wrote is true, I wonder where and how bus drivers got a driving license!!! and how they do not get any points?? Is it a lobby. If you drive the bus in London, then you are protected and you can do whatever you like.

Eman

I’ve just seen a cyclist ride the wrong way up the Seven Sisters bus lane all the way from Green Lanes to Blackstock Road. wot a moron :w00t:

Yeah but Bikes CAN go in the A23 bus lane already… all the way up to Brixton

It’s the same as Richmond*. The ones you can ride in are signposted like STEM shows above.*The one-way road by Argos we can use, the high street we can’t.

You mean Kennington? We can use it from Kennington in the north all the way down to the border of Streatham and Norbury in the south - close to Streatham Common. I hope that’s the case anyway, otherwise I’m due to be fined about £80k by TfL… :ermm:

Have I got it wrong?

I thought TFL controlled bus lane on all A roads, not just the Red Routes.

As for “will Council’s be following the TFL lead for the trial”, try dropping a letter to your local council addressed to the Chief Executive with a copy to your local ward councilor and ask.

(Visit your local authority’s web site foir addresses.)

This is the sort of thing cyclists seem to be able to manage. Why not motorcyclist?

Oh. You could email, but as a local government officer, I’d say don’t bother. Letters still carry some weight. Emails? Your just too lazy to write.

Please, use the spell checker. Nothing lets you down more that a letter full of typos, but even that is better than no letter.

There is no listing for Hammersmith and Fulham - does this mean that all bus lanes in that borough will still exlcude bikes?

If there are no bus routes on red routes in that borough - as with Kingston where there are none, there is nothing for TFL to list.

Good news, but as people have said on here, they should just make all bus lanes usable by bikes. it will cause confusion.

Thanks for the map mate :slight_smile: .

There’s a bit more information been added here, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/motorcycles-in-red-route-bus-lanes-q-and-a-october2008.pdf