Motorcycle Theft Up 40% In 12 Months!

We don’t publish news stories at the moment but this one came in and the headline was so shocking I though it has to go up…

Stolen vehicle recovery (SVR) expert, TRACKER, is urging motorbike owners to take greater steps to protect their vehicles, as the latest Home Office Crime Report announces that motorcycle theft is up a staggering 40% in the last 12 months. 

Whilst vehicle crime remains at a historically low level, there are signs that the downward trend may be slowing.  Andy Barrs, Head of Police Liaison at TRACKER (part of the Tantalum Corporation) explains; “The latest Police Recorded Crime statistics for England and Wales showed a 3% rise in ‘theft of vehicles’, for the year to June 2015, the first rise in two decades. This increase appears to be due to an increase in stolen scooters and motorcycles, which have become increasingly attractive to thieves and joy riders - particularly young offenders - as sophisticated security on cars acts as a deterrent.” 

In addition to the Home Office Report, the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is believed to have seen a 44% increase in motorbike theft in London.  The MPS reported that there were 1,240 recorded crimes in London in which suspects rode mopeds or motorbikes, during the 12 months to February 2015.

Continues Andy Barrs:  “It’s clear from the latest data that motorbikes and scooters are an increasing target for opportunistic thieves, such as joyriders. The Home Office Report concludes that many criminals are choosing to take motorcycles because cars are simply too difficult to steal, thanks to improved security systems.

“Unsurprisingly, the Report also concludes that methods for better protecting motorbikes should be a priority if the long-standing decline in vehicle crime is to continue.  This is where TRACKER’s award winning SVR solutions can play a vital role in addressing the problem.  Whilst our tracking devices will not prevent a bike from being stolen, they will significantly increase the chances of police locating and retrieving the bike before it’s broken down for parts.”

Specially developed to protect unpowered or infrequently used assets to avoid draining the battery, Battery Powered TRACKER Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the electrical system of a vehicle, making it ideal for motorcycles, including vintage bikes. 

Using patented VHF technology it can track stolen motorcycles and scooters, even if they are hidden in containers, lock-ups or underground car parks. The high tech tracking technology is not stopped by GPS/GSM signal jammers and the signal can be picked up throughout the UK, as well as France, Spain, Poland, Holland, Luxembourg and Italy - perfect for those planning a summertime ride across Europe.

TRACKER’s Top Tips for Motorcycle Security:

·         Motorbike Locks

Always secure chain locks of cable locks to an immovable object, such as a lamp post.  Always try to thread the chain or cable through the bike frame.  

·         Motorbike Alarms and Immobilisers

A quality Thatcham approved, professionally fitted alarm system will not only deter a thief, but could also reduce insurance premiums. It’s crucial to get it fitted by a factory trained technician as modern bikes are sensitive to poorly fitted alarms.

·         Mark Your Motorcycle

Using a simple UV pen, mark parts of the motorcycle with the VIN (vehicle identification number), vehicle registration and postcode. Alternatively invest in an identification system such as Datatag.

·         Remove Equipment

As an added guard, remove the spark plug or HT cap.

·         Be Seen!

Always park the bike where it can be seen, day or night, by passers-by.

·         Use Different Parking Spots

Try to vary the places you park - sophisticated thieves will study parking habits and routines before making a theft.

·         Use Public Secure Parking

·         Most cities will have a secure parking area for motorcycles with fixed security hoops for locking chains to - use them.

·         Garage

If you have a garage, use it.  Always put the bike away immediately and make sure the garage is properly secure.  Consider putting in a ground anchor in the garage to lock the bike to.

·         If You Love it, Track It…

Invest in a stolen vehicle recovery system and be sure to choose one that is used by all UK police forces.  You could also reduce insurance premiums.

http://www.trackerdirect.co.uk/

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

Unfortunately I don’t think this is news. Very much like yesterday’s standard head line of Victoria station being busy at rush hour.

Fear tactics everywhere… Nice PR note though it comes with advice

If You Love it, Track It…
Invest in a stolen vehicle recovery system and be sure to choose one that is used by all UK police forces.  You could also reduce insurance premiums.

http://www.trackerdirect.co.uk/

Yup, reads like an infomercial.

Not enough lampposts in London to lock all the bikes to. A garage in London? We’re not all millionaires :wink:

Maybe if the Police and courts cracked down on the thieving See U Next Tuesdays. Also the manufacturers should be investing and release far better security and immobility devices for bikes. 

the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is believed to have seen a 44% increase in motorbike theft in London
That doesn't seem very definite and the following stat relates to crimes where the suspect 'rode a motorbike', which is quite a lot different to bike theft.

Yeah, locking bikes to an immoveable object is all very well and good unless you’re obliged by the council to park in designated bays that have no provision.

Not sure that removing the spark plugs is a very helpful option either, it’d take me half the day to get the plugs out & back in & it wouldn’t stop the bike being “ped-pushed” or chucked in a van anyway.

remove spark plugs & let the damp get into the engine

now that is a good idea

All that being said. I do wonder if the stats are correct - yes yes I know. I’m as cynical as the next cynic.

But reflect on that. Thefts are already nuts. Now +40%.

Is London the worst city for motorcycle theft? If so, how proud… :frowning:

Lol and who’s seriously going to remove spark plugs everytime you park up… F that. 

remove spark plugs & let the damp get into the engine

now that is a good idea

Wise
Makes it less desirable to thieves I suppose

I do seem to recall a security device being marketed a while back that you locked onto the plug after disconnecting the lead.

Those stats look dodgier than the bike thieves… 

I’ve now managed to get the company to agree to parking m’cycles and scooters on the roof. Here’s the crane just lifting the first bike of the morning up …

LOL

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg