Motorcycle satnavs

I tried that, but I’ve never been able to work out how to make the time-to-destination shown in the bottom-left corner show the time to the end of the ride, rather than to the next waypoint; have you managed to?

No, but if you drag route rather then set waypoints the final destination is the arrival destination so the eta is correct.

I have never had a problem with my iphone mount I use google maps via bluetooth and I also paly music with google maps I can customise my route to where I want to go not where the satnav wants me to go ok I have to do it with the PC first then just open up the map bis my google account but it works so don’t knock it
I have a garmin satnav on my bike as well only a cheapo that was mrs wises so I modified the mount and fixed it to my bike it’s ok but know where near as good as google maps I mainly use it for the trip meter on it now days

I fall an of my bike and the twisty mount didn’t let go it’s waterproof and even when in the mount it still works but I don’t have the thong for the glove so I have to take my glove off to work

Hrm, I thought that was exactly where I had that issue, but if I’m misremembering or they’ve fixed that since then I might’ve just found a not-that-crap satnav. Time to try a new version!

This isn’t that unusual. I tried all the free android satnavs and some of the pay-for ones this and last summer, and Google Maps was amonght the least-straightforward to put daft routes into - it basically cannot do a route that’s not a google-suggested one unless you find a PC or are up for treating each waypoint as a separate destination and stopping at each one to enter the next.

I set my start and end
Then just drag the nodes around till I get what I want

I use both harming and tom tom on the iPhone.

Tom Tom is great.
Garmin is the biggest pile of **** EVER! Doesn’t know what it’s doing ever BUT it does itinerary planning so as long as you use closeish waypoints it’s great for planning a ride out. That’s it’s only saving grace.

The Tom Tom slams it in every other department. :slight_smile:

Do you set the way points as every junction of the M4? :Whistling:

Some of us just navigate by the sun and stars :smiley:

*As an aside - am always getting lost - but that’s half the fun I reckon!

Not sure that helps unless you are passing through Maidenhead.

http://goo.gl/maps/GWPBT

One advantage motorcycle satnavs have over phones is they work with gloves on, unless you’ve got them gloves with the touchscreen friendly fingers.

How long battery life are people getting on an iphone 5 with Tom tom running?

I did 5 hours the other day with the screen turned off (phone in my pocket) and music playing constantly through bluetooth intercom.
Still had 40% battery at the end of the ride.

If the screen was on then I’d be getting a lot less, maybe 3 hours.

True, though I find the Garmin’s touch screen is a pain anyway, and not improved over the years. You’ve got to use your finger nail or a stylus to be accurate with it. Also, they make a big thing of not touching the GPS for “safety” while riding - though I do find it quite fiddly to use on the go anyway, so may not be much of a loss to make do without gloves.

I think some of the big things for usability is screen-size and redraw/compass speed. Some satnavs are quite small and slow compared to some mobile phones.

The motorcycle TomToms do appear to be very glove friendly.

Yes, the Tomtom Rider works very well with gloves – even thick winter gloves and heated gloves. If you pull over to program in a new route you don’t have to take your gloves off at all.

My Rider 2 works with gloves in the sense that it’s a resistive touch screen, but it’s only about the size of a postage stamp so with my winter gloves I never register a press in the right place anyway.

I’ve found all 3 Zumos I’ve had 550, 660 and 590 work well when using with gloves. They all have a setting optimised for using with gloves on. There is a safety mode which warns you about using certain functions while moving but that warning also includes the option to turn it off so you typically only see it once.

So far, the sun doesn’t normally run out :smiley:

I think it does, for about 12 hours a day on average!