Motorcycle consultation

The DVSA has today released the results of the recent motorcycle consultation/

The full report can be read here https://www.driving.org/dvsa-release-report-recent-motorcycle-training-consultation/

I have my views and thoughts as an instructor, but I am keeping my mouth shut for the moment

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

As long as you can’t work for commercial purposes on a provisional and a CBT I’ll be content. Firmly believe if you have to use a vehicle for work then you should have a full license.

I’ve always found it strange as you wouldn’t let a learner car rider out on their own to practise after half a day, whereby only an hour or two was on the roads. Agree with that as well Kevsta

Got to agree with he above. I was entirely unprepared when I had my CBT

I agree with Kevin

& I think the above is a good start but needs more like only 2 CBT renews before you have to take your full test

So the way it is at the moment, you could wake up one day and decide you want to ride a moped to work. So you sign up for and complete a CBT and next day you are out on the roads with no knowledge of the Highway Code, putting yourself, others road users and pedestrians  in danger. That doesn’t sound right to me.

I’m pretty sure that you need to pass the theory test before you can do the CBT

Wasn’t the case when I did mine, although that was 16 yeas ago

I'm pretty sure that you need to pass the theory test before you can do the CBT
me_groovy
Nope:

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-theory-test

Theory test can be taken before or after CBT.  It is not a requirement of the completing the CBT.

The intention is to make the theory test a requirement before you can do a CBT, otherwise at least make a basic one part of the CBT itself.  There will be another consultation on those two options after they have does an assessment on the impact of them.

So the way it is at the moment, you could wake up one day and decide you want to ride a moped to work. So you sign up for and complete a CBT and next day you are out on the roads with no knowledge of the Highway Code, putting yourself, others road users and pedestrians  in danger. That doesn't sound right to me.
rodigus
Theoretically, you cannot do that though pactically it is probably impossible to be so dangerous anyway.

In applying for a provisional licence you are technically confirming you have read the Highway Code, although obviously there is no way of checking this.

But the second classroom section of the CBT goes into the dangers anyway, and a learner is supposed to demonstrate there that they can legally and safely ride on the road.  This includes answering a few questions about the Highway Code.

So it is left to a trainer to decide whether someone shows enough to demonstrate they have read the Highway Code, as they legally should have, and understood it.  Otherwise they should not be allowed to proceed with the on-road riding section. 

I wonder how many people actually fail to complete on that issue, though?  Most people have a basic understanding of the Highway Code even without reading it as a lot of it is common sense and you just grow up understanding a lot of it through culture and as a pedestrian.  I am sure if you would be stopped from continuing a CBT if you are truly appeared unsafe, but you would have to be particularly bad for it to be so obvious.

I’d have been happier with keeping things as is, but changing for no business use on anything less than a full category licence.