More questions for B...

Was really good to say hello to you yesterday B even though it was very brief…Got a few qs

With hanging off style of riding, is there a such thing as not hanging off enough when the objective isn’t to get ones knee down and when hanging off isn’t even necessary?

The whole issue with references points…Are they really just an initial guide to help get around the track?

I ask because theoretically I would think they can limit a riders progress if they rigidly rely upon them e.g a braking reference point will change the faster a rider becomes but if a rider just uses the same point on track they will believe they going as fast as possible.

If reference points are supposed to be dynamic (change over time) then isn’t it just the same as knowing where a track goes through experience and just becoming more comfortable with the track and thus becoming faster?

If you are using the whole width of the track, turning the bike as fast as you can to hit the apex, and going any faster around the corner means you run off, doesn’t that mean you’ve found your limit?

I’d really appreciate you following me around Donington for 2 or 3 laps and getting your feedback as I feel comfortable on the track, the last time there felt really good, but it’d be nice to know if I’m doing things the correct way.

I have no aspirations to go racing and my main priorities are to have fun and leave the track with the bike intact so that’s my level. I’ll experiement with things but I don’t need to take any unnecessary risks and I don’t care who passes me really.

Anyway…Cheers.

Yeah it was really good to meet you yesterday Afro

Fridayman has started something here with question time, i’ll try and help where i can.

Generally speaking it does help to hang off as it will keep you on the fatter part of the tyre but also helps keep the bike more settled because of the lesser forces acting because of the lowered centre of gravity.

Hanging off is quite often not necessary for example if your on a high speed turn but where you still have enough tyre and ground clearance if you tuck in behind the screen. This will make you more aerodynamic, so the less you hang off the better.

I’m impressed with how analytical you are, it’s a good way to learn but there is a point where you just need to get go out there and let it happen. There’s no substitute for tracktime but it is a never ending learning curve.

Ref points; braking points will change as you get quicker but apexes and exit points should be the same. Yes too much emphasis can be put on braking as late as possible but this is often to the detriment of the rest of the corner.

At club meetings you see this as a common problem where the rider falls because he rushes the entry to a turn.

I like Ron Haslams approach, he works on getting the exit of the turn correct first then backwards from there.

“If you are using the whole width of the track, turning the bike as fast as you can to hit the apex, and going any faster around the corner means you run off, doesn’t that mean you’ve found your limit?” Answer is yes. But each individuals limit is different.

I’ll definitely spend more than a couple of laps of Donington with you, i just hope i’m ready for your questions

Hope that was of some help.

LOL

Sorry for the impromptu ‘people’s question time with Brian’

And yes, you have answered in a way to clear things up in my head. Thank you.

I’ll be more interested in what you have to say after you see me on track so there’ll me minimal questioning from me at Donny.

Cheers mate.

Fire away with the questions on the day Afro, if it helps clear up any problems, you’ll relax more and then be able to move on.

If i can help you guys improve your skills and become better riders then i’m happy.

ok b while were at it my young cousin is coming to donnington and he would also like some tuition if thats possible . shouldn’t be hard to find him he’l have the big grin on his face and one of focused r6’s between his legs .

I’ll have a chat to the grinner. There’s a few LB’ers in the novice group already that i’ll be keeping an eye on so time will be limited.

But not to worry, i can always have a chat with another instructor to help him if i’m busy.

I’ll use this thread to ask you something… (+ whoever else feel like giving his opinion really)

Quite a few times it happened to me to touch the toes on the floor on a left corner.

I know that quite a few people (Valentino Rossi included) use to reverse the gear lever so that first gear in up, the other gears are down. This is to avoid putting the foot under the lever on a left corner when changing to a faster gear.

Is it something you do as well?

From your experience is it something worth doing?

When I was in Misano I spoke with a guy that told me that this is the first thing he does when he get a new bike because with the standard setting of the gear lever he risked to have a very bad accident.

That is a racing gearbox. Instead of one down six up it is the other way round.

Not really necessary unless you are going to be carrying some serious lean angle and want to change gear mid corner, which would have to be on a long sweeping left hander. Don’t know if there are many places like that in the country, but I’d imagine you’d have to be on a counter clockwise circuit. Probably about right if you were on the continent if you think about it. They do everything the wrong way round

B, do you supply/fit steering dampers ? Is one really necessary for the odd track day and road use ? Have a new ZX6R and several people have suggested that I get one.

I’ve ridden one of the earlier ZX636’s on the road and found it quite lively but i can also say i can’t remember the last time i had a tankslapper.

A lot of the problems with handling can be dialled out with suspension settings and most of the rest can be cured by good throttle control.

It’s personal preference really but hey you can’t be too safe and a damper will help if the bike is flapping more than you like.

Oh and yes if you do get one it could be fitted at the workshop

The simple option Fran is to move your inside foot a few inches further back on the footpeg and if that doesn’t work then just place your foot over the gearlever after you have selected the correct gear for the entry to the turn.

You can always place your foot back under as you pick the bike up and accelerate out of a turn.

I’ve been using road shift with rearsets without problems. As nuts says it’s the long left hand sweepers where you may have a problem if you need to shift up in the middle of them.

Scwantz Curve at Donington is an example of this but the way round it is to shift up a fraction earlier before your at a serious lean angle.

There’s no right or wrong more a personal preference really. See what works for you

Thanks, the bars had a little shake today, if that’s as far as it goes then I can cope with that but a full on slapper isn’t something I want to have to cope with

A certain amount of bar movement is fun…but personally i’ll steer away from slappers

Some more questions B…

1. Which rider coined the term ‘Tank Slapper’ and was it used before the term ‘Slapper’ was used to describe a woman of disrepute.

Bonus question…

1. Who coined the term ‘Slapper’ in that context?

You’ve got me stumped with that one mate, my ‘slapper’ history is not very good

Hmmm…how much research have you done on slappers anyway?

Both the terms are quite old aren’t they? I give up…let me know