mmmmm alarming noises from my engine!

For a while now well since the end of the summer my engine has got louder! Done just over 13,000 miles and I can hear strange noises when sat at tickover when the bikes warm and cold.

The cam chain seems louder which I suppose is expected due to the mileage but I am hearing this ticking noise every so often it’s kind of iregular really I can hear it when stood next to the bike with my lid off!I can’t explain what kind of ticking noise! It’s strange cause I redline the bike but not that often, always warm it up properly, never bounce it off the limiter or anything like that, no hitting the kill switch either. Regular servicing too! The bikes is well mothered.

The bike is due valve clearance checks at 16,000 but I am worried if I can hear these kind of noises now will something go major wrong? Are these noises common? I know kawasaki engines as a rule and quite harsh and tend to be noisy anyway and it doesn’t bother me too much as long as if I leave it it won’t go pop or drop a valve or something?

Mechanics please lend your opionion:

Beers in advance

Bit hard to comment without actually hearing it but it sounds like cam chain could well be very loose. You may be getting valve bounce as well. Suggest you take it to someone qualified and get them to listen to it. Doesn’t sound like normal for a kwaka. Mine gets bounced off the rev limiter all the time but is as quiet as a church mouse (other than the zorst).

I don’t know about your noise Terry, but hitting the rev-limiter and bouncing off it doesn’t do the engine any harm, that’s what it’s there for, to prevent harm, and also using the kill switch is the same thing as turning off your ignition, no harm done there either.

Sounds like Chuffster has it though, get someone qualified to look at it, it might not be anything major, just some adjustment required. The engine should go for a hundred thousand miles if looked after well, as I’m sure you do. All the best with it.

It must be the colour then…

But seriously, Terry, let me know if you need a mechanic, I’ll give you the adress of a guy who made a good impression on me.

I agreee with what every one has said, the last thing you want is the engine going pop whilst trying to scuff your knee sliders on that bend.

PS where did you last have the bike serviced, have they used the right oil ? The wrong grade could cause a noisier top end.

Hmmm. The non-mechanic’s worst nightmare. I get it down to Bill Bunion’s asap and let them have a listen.

One thing to do Terry is check that nothing is loose, I got a funny clicking noise from my firestorm that turned out to be my screen so no panic, im quite sure that on zx6s you need to keep on top of the valves I would get them check out first.

p.s Snap knows about this stuff he is your best bet for all of the usless info

Dan. it seems you’ve never experienced Terry’s cornering technique. A sight to behold lol. And even more so when there are suicidal Rabbits on the loose.

Usless info pfff?

Heard it, its the cam chain tensioner.

ALRITE TERRY CAM CHAIN TENSIONER SOUNDS LIKE THE PROBLEM MATE THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THE 16000 MILE SERVICE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES MATE J.K

REV IT RIDE IT RACE IT !

Just cause we aint all little scottish terriers that fit there bikes perfectly and have no fear