Mirror bashing commuting....

Today I bashed the handlebar end of the scooter quite hard on a car mirror CLONK ! :ermm:

First time I’ve ever done that on the XEvo or X8, though I did used to do it occasionally on my old Leonardo due to the handlebars being slightly wider than the mirrors.

It was nightmare traffic this morning on the 0.5 mile stretch of the A10 I have to take to get to the M25. Cars everywhere, virtual gridlock, so I was winding, zigzagging and dancing my way through on the scoot, taking gaps and going between lanes that I wouldn’t normally bother if the traffic is moving a bit more. One gap I got the mirrors through but then forgot to take care of the handlebars, usually they follow through with no problems if I’m going straight, but today because of the wiggling I was doing to get through the smaller gaps “CLONK” I hit a car mirror quite hard with the handlebar :? OOps. I felt awful, but no horn sounded and no shouting so I continued, but I didn’t get far because of the traffic, I was half expecting someone to exit the car and bash me!

What do you do if you hit a mirror, stop, acknowledge or just continue? Clipping transit/ van mirrors with the scoot mirrors isn’t too much of a problem as there’s more give in the mirrors though I rarely clip them anyway, but the handlebars are a bit more solid and would give a car mirror more of a whack, I didn’t hear a smashing sound so I assume there wasn’t too much harm done. Though if I was in a car I would be pissed off by a biker smacking my mirror like that, especially if it was a painted one. So I do feel quite bad now!

What does your conscious tell you ?

Yup !

I hate to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet, but I don’t think I have ever done it by accident.

I once fell against a van due to going too slow while filtering and losing my balance, that was a bit of a donk, but that was my elbow and my shoulder against the side of the van, and the driver was laughing at me as I went by.

Yeah I try and avoid doing it - if it does happen then I see it just as part of the rough and tumble of commuting - like having your foot partially run over by a cage when your stuck in dense traffic and one edges past you, or some berk bumping into your rear wheel at traffic lights. I let these things go - I see clonking mirrors as a similar thing.

LOL, that is quite funny! I’ve nearly had my foot run over by a large lorry when I went down a gap on a slow dual carriageway, that narrowed then I got stuck and the lorry started to move with very little gap between my foot and the large wheels. I quickly swapped feet and leaned the other way but it scared me quite a lot. Result of that was I never enter a gap at the side fo a lorry without making sure I can get past completely or at least get into a gap in the next lane. So at least I learnt by that mistake!

I have once or twice bashed mirrors whilst filtering on the hornet but on the scoot i usually manage not to as the bars aint as wide on the ped…although i have asked a transit driver if i can move his mirror to get past as im in a hurry and he obliged bless him:D

If you are regularly hitting mirrors then you are getting into spaces too limited to give you much hope of escaping - or of just being seen - if the traffic begins to shift in a direction you had not anticipated.

Even in the slowest moving traffic, a tiny adjustment to clear an obstruction to the left by a lorry driver in his cab 50ft ahead of you can easily have you crushed against the car to your right if you have not established an escape route.

It should be self-evident that the object of filtering is to keep moving at a speed that averages out faster than the traffic you are filtering through. Every day I see heroes on scooters (and yes, it is mostly scooters - but I imply no reflection on our own LB scooteristas) attempt to thread themselves through ever more narrow canyons between traffic. More often than not, they get stuck. I have also seen what happens when similar heroes get squashed - and it is not a sight for the sensitive.

Don’t go into a space you cannot get out of.

Don’t go where you cannot be seen.

And despite the above, always assume that you have not been seen.

Plan where you are going to be well before you get there and plan your escape routes.

Never assume that by following other bikes you are either safer or have joined the magic river through the traffic.

Sorry of this comes across as a bit preachy and humourless. It probably is. But your original post left me with the impression that you don’t get it - and if you don’t get it, then the outlook tends not to be too bright.

I totally agree with you. No it is not a regular occurrence for me to bash things as I filter, as I said this is the first time I’ve hit the handlebars since I’ve had my bigger scooters and I commute regularly and got the X8 in 2008 so that’s a a fair amount of commuting. It’s just a little unsettling when it happens. I’ve clipped the mirrors once or twice on van mirrors but only a very slight scuff and again very rarely, catching the handlebar was a bit more of an occurence. Today the traffic was particularly bad, so if I wasn’t going to go through the smaller gaps then I wouldn’t have been going anywhere - same as the cars. I’m certainly not a traffic hero and even don’t bother filtering to the front in some places on my commute, even if there is plenty of space for me to get through if there’s only one or two cars in front. Sometimes if there’s little advantage I’d rather just sit in the queue and relax rather than worrying about getting away the minute the light changes or I’ll be squashed by the van.

i think you should stop… its not a god given right to filter and if you cant fit you shouldnt do it. (wait for tongue lashing to start ) :slight_smile:

Just shorten the handlebars!:w00t::w00t::hehe:

LOL I sometimes wonder how a guy I see regularly who has a small cruiser with massively wide handlebars gets on :smiley:

Recently I’ve been leaving home later and the traffic hasn’t been as bad as it can be so I’ve not needed to filter so much - BLISS!! However there’s always those accidents etc that cause chaos, that’s what it was like this morning, three lanes of gridlocked traffic trying to go around a roundabout, that’s where the incident occurred.

Other bikes were taking various different routes through the chaos too, the clonk took me by surprise as I really didn’t think I was that close to the car - perhaps the car moved slightly as I went past it and just closed the gap up just enough for the mirror to impact on the handlebar after the front of the scoot went through.

I usually like to know exactly where cars are before I start to go through a gap, if there’s a vehicle just behind me in an adjacent lane I’ll wait until they’re along side me before I start to filter as then I know where they are/ going and I can see the front wheel to tell if they’re turning. Also if cars (like on the roundabout) are stopped and not moving I usually wait a little to make sure they’re not going to move before I go through a gap, I am quite cautious that’s why hitting the mirror with the handlebar took me by surprise.

[quote]
Loonymoon (16/06/2010)

Other bikes were taking various different routes through the chaos too, the clonk took me by surprise as I really didn’t think I was that close to the car - perhaps the car moved slightly as I went past it and just closed the gap up just enough for the mirror to impact on the handlebar after the front of the scoot went through.

I usually like to know exactly where cars are before I start to go through a gap, if there’s a vehicle just behind me in an adjacent lane I’ll wait until they’re along side me before I start to filter as then I know where they are/ going and I can see the front wheel to tell if they’re turning.quote]If you “think” you were not close to the car then perhaps your not concentrating enough or your going too fast.Also,There is no book to tell you whats going to happen while filtering, the only way to get through without a “clonk” is 100% concentration about you and your surroundings. You never know when a car wants to switch a lane, or in my case a Buffalo passing in between cars on a highway in India!

+1;)

Get risers, then your handlebars will clear nearly all car wingmirrors. Then you just have to worry about minibuses and lorries next to eachother.

guess that happens to all of us now and then - when I got my new scooter I was fairly unfamiliar with the width of the mirrors and clipped a few mirrors by mistake. Felt awful and always stopped and apologised and checked for any scratches or marks. I know if I am driving and someone clips my mirror and would just carry on I would feel p… off. Guess it’s just showing some courtesy for everyone on the road.

Dizy’s quote for today.
I’de rather be polishing me helmet than my bike, but riding my bike rather than driving me car !

I have hit 1/2 or 3.

i have also been hit (taped) 4/5,6 times

when im in my car i look for bikes, i make sure there is allways a gap so bikes can pass, and even cut across the front of me when stoped,

everycar driver knows bikes are on the road, and what they do, so they to should look out for them,

we do have the right to filter, as on the test they tell you.

if you dont then get your self a car.:smiley:

that is what i was told on my test.

This thread reminds me of the time I was just approaching up the back end of traffic over the West Cross route flyover (west bound) on the A40. I was in between two lanes and all of a sudden I felt the most Satanicly powerful sneeze building up down my lungs.

The last thing I could see as I approached the stationary traffic before my eyes involuntary narrowed and then closed up as a I sneezed was a expensive looking sports car in lane 3 and a Nissan micro in lane two. I lined it up as best I could and then went slightly left just in case I was off line when I sneezed…

Mucus sprayed over the inside of the helmet and I doubled up as the sneeze went off. Felt the ever so slightest scrape on the left hand bar end as I passed through the cars at 40mph then managed to re open my eyes to continue filtering. Almost shat myself :stuck_out_tongue:

As it’s been said if you can’t fit don’t try…or if you must at least clutch in and walk it through slowly until you’re safe to continue.
I had a lady park on top of the seam of my left boot, I lifted my visor and politely asked her to move forward slightly but the dozy cow had her earphones in, so I sat there and waited for her to move off.

BM

Should have tried banging on the window vigorously, or opened her door, might have got the dozy sod’s attention !!