Metropolis Motorcycles closed

Apparently Metropolis Motorcycles ceased trading yesterday, anyone going past it today and can check?
https://mailchi.mp/dealernews/latest-news-from-bdn-jan-207761

I know they weren’t everyone’s favourite but they were handy for getting OEM parts in a rush!!

Website’s not working so doesn’t look good.

Never used the place, but never good to lose a bike shop & sad news for the folk relying on it for a living.

I know a lot of local bike shops used it to get parts, so it’s going to create a problem for them getting parts off the shelf quickly.

Wtf. That’s really tragic.

Wasn’t it also the last Kawasaki dealer with a London post code?

And Ducati and Triumph

It was certainly due to. I know some other local bike places had bought up some of their stock etc.

Terrible news for the staff if true. And bad news for bikers generally, I’ve used them on and off over the last twenty years, bought my current bike from them.

I must say, I was there for a service recently and I took the opportunity to have a nose around the shop. I know it was early in the day but I couldn’t believe how many staff there were doing nothing. I was the only visitor in the shop and there were dozens of staff wandering around chatting and joking with each other. At the time it made me think that can’t continue.

Thats a shame I’ve been popping in there for years as it’s close to the city.

Let’s hope Motoden remain in business

I work in the motorcycle industry and can confirm that it’s true and they have ceased trading.

1 Like

Never liked them personally (dealership side)… Went in a couple of times and the staff ignored me, or didn’t want to help.
I asked for a test ride and they said no…

I think the accessory part was better

Same. Was peered at down the nose of the guy I tried to engage with over a bike.

Shame for the staff who weren’t so condescending of which i am sure there were many, and like people say, those relying on them for parts.

Tells a sorry story if bike sales are so depressed in London :frowning:

I’m with Pan and BL on this, seen staff take piss out of customers, put me off training with them. Later went in to buy a new Kawasaki ER6N and the guy left me halfway through decision to deal with a suit who wanted a Ducati so brought second hand more locally.

Since those experiences only went in to get a feel of bikes, l was considering buying elsewhere.

The one in Barnet closed a few months ago. It’s odd, I thought I had a good relationship with Mike and the mechanic (forget his name) I’d been going in for about 6 years and they’d done me a few favours over the years. Then I went on a test ride of an 899 and realised how worn the tyre was. I told Mike about it when I got back and a few months later when a friend was test riding a bike, he made a joke about not letting me on a bike again after what I did to the Ducati! I was fuming! Never went back in.

Were you looking back over your shoulder too much?

4 Likes

:smiley:

Sad news indeed. I bought my current bike from them and didn’t have any issues. Quite the opposite. I feel sorry for the staff and hope they get onto something else soon.

1 Like

It is indeed true and from my experience hardly suprising due to the poor service I received. Infinity in Clapham or J&S in Stockwell have both been fantastic whenever I have used them.

Metro-Poor-As-Piss??? Actually that’s unfair - spares, servicing and accesories were good…dealer side could be piss-poor depending on what staff was involved and who was the manager at the time.

I bought 2 new Triumps way back in 2006 and 2008 from the then Triumph manager, Bob Brennan who was an ace guy.

He replacement not so good…he once refused a test ride and told me to go to Jack Lilleys in Ashford, test a bike and then come back and buy it from him!!! ,…Yea sure, that sort of spiv behaviour really gives you confidence in a dealer…

Then there was one salesmen who, when I went in , was eating cornflakes at his desk and didn’t bother even looking up even though I was the only one there …He was in the Moto-Guzzi bit and I asked him if he had a Bellagio to look at …" A what???" was his reply…a salesman who didn’t even know the names of the bike he was selling!

Poor-as-piss as I said…