Mercury bluethooh earphones review# 1

I bought a pair of custom moulded bluetooth earphones from Mercury Hearing at the bike show at Excel on 16th Feb, last month.

They arrived yesterday, six days before they were due, which is good.  However, they don’t work.  They would not sync with my mobile.  I rang the company yesterday, spoke to Debbie, who advised that they need to be fully charged to allow them to sync.  I said they have arrived fully charged, as I plugged them into the charger, and within a few minutes, the blue charging light went off, as stated by the instructions when fully charged.  She said that they are only give a partial charge at their factory, and suggest a four or five hour charge.  I complied with that, leaving them on charge overnight, which was about 14 hours.

However, this morning, I still cannot get them to sync to my Motorola G 3rd Generation mobile.  To check it was not a problem with my mobile, or me even, I got three other bluetooth devices, and managed to sync each of them with no problem.  I then called Mercury back, spoke to Julie, explained the situation, and she’s asked me to return them to her for repair.  I asked “What is the turn around time on this?”, and she said “…it would be done urgently”.  Again I asked the same question, she gave the same answer.  I rephrased the question, and she said “A week”.  Well I’m just about to get out to the post office to return them.

It may just be that I’ve got a dodgy one, and if so, I’m not too bothered.  I believe that you only see what truly good customer service is like when you have a problem with a product/service, and see how the company deals with it.  So I’m hopeful that they’ll sort it out.

When I was at the bike show, I was told that they have two year warranty, but outside of that, all repairs, regardless of how caused, have a flat fee of £40, which I think is good.

For the first time, I’ve made a review on a product, and have put this up on Youtube:

it potentially still could be your phone. I know you have tried other BT devices with it but it could be a issue between their device and yours. I would have tried pairing it to another phone for example and see how that went (obviously too late now).

For the record I had a pair of Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones once, the quality was shite, got them replaced same thing so as a test I tried on the wife’s phone and the sound was crystal clear which is where I learnt all is not equal when it comes to BT although it should be.

There are differing standards of bluetooth. I suspect the earphones are 4.1 and your phone (as I check GSM arena) is 4.0. Might be an incompatibility like that to stop them talking to each other. Try them with a friend’s phone. 

From your video, dunno what lens you’re using but the fisheye from it makes it look really weird and the timestamp in the corner isn’t necessary. Also you need to speak up a bit, I’d guess it’s a gopro in a sealed housing?

I agree… Some phones do weird things with connectivity.

For example my wife can mirror screen to my TV with both Samsung phones she has had and my brother with his iPhone. I can’t with my Moto G 4th gen.

I hope that is not the case with my mobile.  I showed them my mobile, said it was an Android, and they seemed ok with that.  They did not question which version of Android or state/ask about potential connectivity problems or version of bluetooth.  If they had, I would have got them to check my mobile whilst there, and if it was not compatible, I would not have purchased the earphones.

As above. I had a HTC Trophy from work which connected to my old Zumo 660 instantly even if I left it in the house and I was outside with the bike. It never any issues at all. I upgraded to a HTC 8x and had no end of issues connecting even though it was a newer model. Try it with a mates phone, even better if it’s an iPhone and see if the phone is the issue.

I hope that is not the case with my mobile.  I showed them my mobile, said it was an Android, and they seemed ok with that.  They did not question which version of Android or state/ask about potential connectivity problems or version of bluetooth.  If they had, I would have got them to check my mobile whilst there, and if it was not compatible, I would not have purchased the earphones.
Aceman
In all honesty mate no supplier is going to test every single phone on the market which will take considerable time and expense. They will run a load of tests on the most recent/popular phones at best.

Good Luck either way and as you said you’ll see their metal on the customer service now…

and you might want to change your phone pin now you’ve put it out there on the world wide youtubie web

Thank you all for your comments. I’ve already returned the earphones.

and you might want to change your phone pin now you've put it out there on the world wide youtubie web

National Treasure
Oops.

Update.  I rang Mercury yesterday (28th March) about 11am, asked if they had received the earphones.  I spoke with Debbie who said she could not find them, but took my number and said that her colleague who would be dealing with that, will give me a call back within the hour.  Subsequently, I found the Post Office receipt, and confirmed that it was delivered and signed for on 22nd March at 12:49.  After two hours, and having not heard back, I called again, spoke to Debbie again and said that I’d tracked the delivery.  She said that they would be repaired/replaced tomorrow, that being 29th March, and sent back to me same day.

I was originally told that they would be fixed and returned to me in a week.  It’s already a week as of today.  But if I get them next week, and they work, I’ll still be happy.  Their original delivery to me was six days ahead of the promised date.

31/3/18 Received the replacement earphones.  I charged them up, then synced them with my mobile on first attempt.  Music through Spotify seems ok, but as loud as my wired earphones for Ultimate Hearing.

A good thing though is they have voice activated answering for incoming calls which worked on a test call.

I let you know how it well it works whilst riding when the weather perks up.  

glad to hear it! (pun not intended)