Melandri to BMW for 2011

Gresini Honda MotoGP man Marco Melandri has been linked with a deal that will see him ride in WSB for the factory BMW squad in 2011. The 27 year old Italian has endured two disastrous seasons riding for Ducati and Kawasaki, but is still regarded as a major talent in racing.

The rumoured deal would see the five time MotoGP winner and former 250GP champion race in WSB before switching back to MotoGP with BMW. Current BMW WSB team boss Davide Tardozzi has been linked with the deal as the man that would front BMW’s MotoGP effort.

Speaking to MCN, Tardozzi said: “Marco lives in my home town and I’ve known him since he was born. He is young and fast, nothing is done but he is an interesting rider.

“People think that BMW will go to MotoGP, but it is too early to say. Now we concentrate on WSB and we must be proven winners here and then maybe we can think about another class. As a manufacturer we are committed to WSB we have a commitment for five years starting from 2008 and that will take us to 2012. But for the future – never say never!”

Rumours and speculation surrounding Melandri and BMW are expected to reach new heights as Tardozzi will be in Mugello next weekend for the MotoGP race.

Sounds good.

Not sure how well he will do in WSB considering past converts, but I hope he does well.