Mayor plans to expand ULEZ to North and South Circular

Yikes.

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-unveils-action-plan-to-battle-toxic-air

The consultation today proposes bringing forward the central London ULEZ to 2019 and extending the zone to the North and South Circular in 2020.

Bum, that’s several hundred wiped off the value of my very decent commuter bike just like that. 

(I also assume the mention of Euro 4 criteria is for cars only and Euro 3 for bikes, as per the prior ULEZ plans)

Does that mean the zone is extending as far as the north/south circular or that the zone will be central London with the addition of the north/south circular only.

The former would be quite an increase in area (and would presumably need a lot of new cameras), the latter would probably make all the polluting vehicles take to the side roads, not really solving the problem.

I don’t really have a problem with cleaner air in London and inevitably, doing so is going to annoy people who want to drive/ride their current (relatively polluting) vehicles. While I sympathise, some action probably is required.

You’re right about the camera’s - the zone will be pretty big (especially because he’s proposing a London-wide zone for lorries, buses & coaches. It wouldn’t be possible to put a camera on every entrance like there is now - so I guess it’d be a patch work of camera’s probably located on major roads and junctions. at least its not starting in 2017…

where do they get the figures of 10,000 people dropping down dead due to air pollution in London

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/HIAinLondon_KingsReport_14072015_final_0.pdf is the report most of the articles cite.

Hmm, next year is gonna be expensive: gonna have to replace my 2003 Fazer, my wife’s 2006 CBF500 and the 2005 Zafira car (even though it’s LPG). Better start saving up… :frowning:

22 minutes ago - Quote
where do they get the figures of 10,000 people dropping down dead due to air pollution in London

TfL report prepared by Kings https://www.scribd.com/document/271641490/King-s-College-London-report-on-mortality-burden-of-NO2-and-PM2-5-in-London

The consultation is here https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/environment/pollution-and-air-quality/your-views-how-can-we-clean-our-air/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Mayoroflondon&utm_content=1&utm_campaign=airquality

He’d best hope that public transport will be able to cope with the influx of people that have had to bin their older mode of transport …

I think the hope is that people will turn to cycling, walking and just not going into town when they don’t need to.

If there’s that big a reduction in car use then buses should become a more viable option too.

Not sure if it was his remit as Tooting MP but the traffic around there has been terrible for years and he’s done jack about it.

Well, that’s the kiss of death for my bike then (02 ZZR600). Thinking I might want to upgrade to a Super Blackbird or something. Any recommendations?

And mine - 3 years to get a newer one…

You can buy my ZZR1100 … oh hang on, its 1996 … that’s screwed too !!!

Well, that's the kiss of death for my bike then (02 ZZR600). Thinking I might want to upgrade to a Super Blackbird or something. Any recommendations? Gesthemene

Last Super Blackbird was 2005, so will be no good in town either. Always fancied one too…   I can see myself splashing out on an MT09 or Tracer, or just a try and find a cheap FZ6 S2 or later FZ1. 

Otherwise, it’s a case of hunting down something half decent pre 1973 and hoping they maintain the classic vehicle exceptions.

Well, that's the kiss of death for my bike then (02 ZZR600). Thinking I might want to upgrade to a Super Blackbird or something. Any recommendations? Gesthemene

Last Super Blackbird was 2005, so will be no good in town either. Always fancied one too…   I can see myself splashing out on an MT09 or Tracer, or just a try and find a cheap FZ6 S2 or later FZ1. 

Otherwise, it’s a case of hunting down something half decent pre 1973 and hoping they maintain the classic vehicle exceptions.

Arfa
Fair enough, I'm not a fan of the MT09's looks though. If the Super Blackbird's off the table, maybe something like a VFR800 then...

My 2005 CBF500 will be worthless next year… so I better start saving for a nice oil burning KTM SuperDuke, 2009 model will do me… Public transport won’t cope with the influx. Also people cannot afford public transport as it is not “public” in the sense of being affordable.  I’m priced off it as it is over £1K a year cheaper for me to use my bike.  Looks like I’ll have to scrape together money for a CB500X or similar, but how I have no idea.