M40/A40 New Specs

Firstly if you don’t use the M40/A40 between Denham and Hillingdon then you can dispose of this email.

If you do, then read on. It may save you money (and points)

Sometime around the 25th March road works will be starting on the viaduct on the A40, Denham where the river and canal are situated. The road works will be in place for about 38 weeks. During that time TfL have decided to introduce SPECS average speed cameras for the east and west bound A40 traffic between the Denham roundabout and the junction at Hillingdon.

For those that don’t know, SPECS average speed camera systems utilise state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of a minimum of two cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators fitted on gantries above the road, so they can work day or night. SPECS speed cameras work out the vehicles average speed, given the time it takes to drive between the two camera positions.

I am informed that the speed limit will be dropped from the current 70 mph down to 40 mph. The area between the start and finish cameras are policed by Thames Valley and the Met police. It is fair to say that Thames Valley have a reputation for being ruthless in their application of speed limits and little or no lee-way.

I have seen the start to the cameras going up today so I know it won’t be long before they are up and running. As these cameras work on digital technology, they will work 24/7, day or night, rain or shine, etc etc. There is no escape.

Is this where you mean?http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=M40+Denham+&daddr=M40+Hillingdon&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=14.598041,47.900391&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Were they rear facers? :smiley:

I think the car and van club better take note…
:slight_smile:

Looks like it Jim… You can’t miss the SPECS they are forward facing going out of town just before Swakleys Roundabout but on the A40… another set on the slip if you are joining the A40 towards Oxford and another set on the Denham off slip westbound.
On the eastbound side they are Denham slip onto A40, Swakley slip off but still on A40, and Swakley slip onto A40.

So basically from Hillingdon to Denham on the A40 there are SPEC cameras either side of the road. No speed limit signs or roadworks as at today’s date.