Loss of traction

Its a very small amount but I can definitely feel a loss of traction usually when moving off in a straight line (not giving it a big handful either) or as I turn in for a corner.

The rear Pilot Power 2CT is likely coming up for replacement now with about 5000 miles on it, but I did wash the bike last weekend and I wonder if there is some cleaner residue on the tyre.

I’m being a bit paranoid but after coming off earlier this year due to a lowside, I’m not taking any chances.

Rear tread pattern looks good with a lot of meat left…Chain is well adjusted. Tyre pressures are 36/38.

Any advice for what else I can check or do?

Cheers.

Perfect the art of rolling burnouts? Learn to slide the back properly? Don’t spread goo all over the tyre when cleaning? Check 38psi is high enough. Pretend it happens to everyone else too. Replace tyre. Erm pull away slower.

That’s my lot, I’m off for a lie down. :hehe:

Thanks mate :rolleyes: :DThink the replace tyre is the option…Busters are doing two sets for £230 apparently.

Am no expert, but 38psi seems quite high, given that it will increase as tyre temp increases.

Mine run at 36, (but then are slightly smaller)

Yamaha actually recommend 42 PSI at the rear mate…Which is :crazy:

So I’m actually running lower.

Blimey, that is high. I would have thought that would create more grip off the line then. Lower pressures I would have though would only cause problems when cornering as a result of tyre deflection.

Unusual to have it spinning up off the line unless you are giving it berries with the front brake applied, normally I would have thought it would flip you.

Let me take it out and test it for you :smiley:

Many sports bikes will be 42 psi recomended for the rear. Running lower, should in theory cause the tyre to heat up faster. 5,000 miles on it you say, how many track days? Most tyres work in heat cycles, many of the race/track orientated ones have a recommended number. Every time the tyre cools down from being hot, its a heat cycle. A lot of the race orientated tyres work best on heat cycle 2 or 3, then you will notice a drop in grip. The first heat cycle of a tyre is when it is manufactured. SO I put brand new tyres on my bike, I ride back from the shop, then I do a week of riding to work and back, thats 11 heat cycles already, and about 250 miles for me. So if you only commute, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month, you are up to 40 heat cycles. Multiply it out, you will be amazed. Partly why race tyres are not recommended for road use.

So the tyre may have plenty of meat left on it, but due to the heat cycles, the rubber has degregated and that could be what is causing the problem. I would say change it, far better to be safe than sorry.

Afro,

Have you checked that you’re throttle or clutch control isn’t at fault

Ham fisted can lead to slippy rear:P

Or maybe your electronic gizmo that controls the throttle to carb link might be playing up!

But personally I go with change of tyre time - your tyre pressures should be fine, I run my rear at 39-40 rather than 42 - feels great

Better sort before your impending track day!:w00t:

All good responses…

The tyre has done 3 track days aswell…Hmmm

Your tire sounds fine, just drop it down to around 32 / 33 psi (rear) about the same for the front as well. Losing traction is not really a big deal just dont slam the brakes on or gas it just keep a steady throttle and your bike will adjust itself. These machines that we are riding nowadays are amazing and a little slip and slide every once in a while is no big whoop for these things.

Just dont panic and keep moving.

A good idea would be to go dirt biking for a day and get used to a bike that moves around alot. Once you get used to that feeling you won’t be so put off next time it happens on the street bike.

Really would love to try dirt bike…Might have to get to one of those schools.

Yeah its a tiny slide and doesn’t really phase me, it’s just I don’t like having little things wrong when riding a bike as I find it a worry at the back of my mind which affects my concentration.

Well, I’m aware of it now so I can ensure I ride accordingly…I’ll be changing the tyre soon though.

5k on my last 2ct rear was it pretty much dead tbh honest. considering you’ve had some track days that is a decent innings for it. do you have a pic of the tyre? would have thought it would have squared off a fair bit by now. i didn’t realise how much i’d lost of the tyres ability/handling until i stuck the new one on and it was like i was on a completely different bikeif you had some soap residue left on the tyre i’d have thought that i’d have burn off by now

defo worth checking the clutch, altho prob wouldn’t give the slide in corners but the sudden easy revving can feel like you lost grip for a sec

have had rides that feel like the bike is jittery and others when it feels great, nothing has changed in the bike set up, just me. if the tyre isn’t giving you confidence, its well worth getting rid. 36 to 38 psi should be fine pressure wise, esp as you ride 2-up. personally didn’t like 42 on the rear, felt a bit hard and unforgiving. the michelins are supposed to work best when hot around 36 allegedly. not sure i’d want to go as low as 32 on the rear for the road, tyre would drag a fair bit unless you’re riding pretty hard to keep it hot, you’d lose some of its water displacement ability, lose mileage, and doubt you’d find it actually gave more grip you could use on the road

Hi Afro.

I go along with Chuffster on this one. It is possible that you have cooked your tyre by having too much heat through it too often. You can sometimes tell by the change in colour of the outside edges of the rubber - it gets a bluey inky kind of colour.

I’d err on the side of caution and swap your tyre mate:)

Thanks for the responses people…

Funny thing the tyre was fine yesterday and so far today as well…Maybe its just the drop in temperature affecting the tyres ability to grip a small amount. It has gotten colder in the mornings recently.

JB your recommendation for these Michelins was a good one…Since getting them fitted, their handling performance has remained consistently brilliant wet or dry.

They don’t feel squared off as yet (maybe the trackdays and country road riding has balanced out the boring dual carriageway stuff) and I feel I can get knee down lean angles without a loss of confidence.

I’m gonna post up some pictures of the tyre anyway, but I think I’ll keep this rear until I put the R1 away at the beginning of October.

Now theres some education for me too…never calculated in this way before.Cheers Chuff !!

Thats the reason race bikes sit there for hours on end with tyre warmers on, it prevents the tyre cooling and using up another heat cycle:)If you are in doubt to whether there is something slippery on the surface of your tyre Afro, you can give them a rub over with brake cleaner:)