Looking to get a new motorbike

It is…i like the look…but they go like a snail…not much go at all, bandit/sv has much more bhp.

A snail? that’s a bit harsh :hehe:… It’s not all about horsepower you know!

Don’t just take my word for it though- Visordown review said:

"…the 660cc single does thump out power, and more importantly torque, from as soon as the tacho needle gets off the stop. No matter where the revs are the little Yamaha leaps forward, which is simply perfect for town riding where the ‘point and squirt’ approach is the preferred technique

The MT-03 is a cracking little town bike that is fantastic fun on twisty roads. For a first big bike it offers a lot, as long as potential owners are honest about what they will use it for. For short hops, town riding and winding country roads then look no further

If you’re looking for a bike that will take you to Scotland and back then don’t even consider the MT-03, but if you want a bike for short exciting hops then put a deposit down. Now. The MT-03 is, surprisingly, a bike you can easily fall in love with. It’s not the fastest, but it handles fantastically well and is, quite simply, a really good laugh."

Couldn’t have put it better myself.:cool:

Okay the SV isn’t bad :wink: but everyones got one :w00t:

oh yeah its great in town, personally i would get bored with it in teh twisties, my sv was starting to get boring after a while, not enough go…the MT -03 puts out what 45-50bhp? the sv/bandits put out 70/80bhp…

plus you have no screen, so when you do go for a proper blast at a pace…you get pummeled by the wind!

if i were gonna spend money on an MT-03 …i’d get what i think its trying to be,…a supermotard.

dont get me wrong the MT looks really nice, but it sdont cut it for me, and knowing Dan i dont think he will like one, tho i may be wrong, let him test ride yours:D:P

Last year I was hunting for a bike for similar use as you, something I could put on high miles (10k a year) riding daily in comfort but enough fun for the odd ‘sunday ride’. I was replacing a boring old 600 bandit and wanted something new.

My choices were an SV, 600CBF, 600 hornet or ER6. I discounted the CBF as they were over grand more than the SV and ER, however more reliable it might be, thats alot of money. Same for the hornet, but mainly due to it feeling far too small for a 6ft2 rider.

I had a good ride on a naked SV and loved it. Problem was I found the seating and size uncomfortable. It’s a great bike but not for me. Well worth a test ride!

I went for the ER6-F in the end. Very comfortable and perfect engine manors. Enough torque to start lifting the front wheel from just 3krpm, so its more than comfortable to filter at low speeds with grunt if needed. The power delivery is nice and easy but really rockets at higher revs, this makes it easy to ride on awful grit covered winter roads.

Some little points I like about the ER are things like the strut reinforced swingarm, crudely made out of steel but is a better design than most ‘low end’ bikes - definitely stiffer than my old bandit. The silencer under the bike keeps it out of the way when you load the bike to the hilt with straps and bags, nothing to burn on. It returns great fuel economy, never less than 50mpg and upto 70. Even when thrashing the living daylights out of it trying to keep up with a mates 996 :smiley:

The only bad things I found after 11k are the front forks are alittle too hard, you’d need after market soft springs to make it more ideal for thrashing. The rear brake isn’t great, but atleast it stops me locking it up:P

I’m not sure if you need the horses in the twisties. Most of the supermotos will make less than 60bhp, and it’s not stopped any of our “real” superretards keeping up with 100bph+ bikes on the BCR (allegedly, because I wouldn’t know, I’m always 10 minutes down the road catching up ;))

You got a point there though, the MT-03 really only is a posh XT660X :w00t:

Or an XT is a common MT :w00t:

yeah i see ya point…BUT!..an MT is’nt KTM is it…now i know hoftys ktm makes around 65-70bhp i beilve, that a fair bit! you dont NEED horses in the twisties but it can help! teh motards are so quick, cos they handle liek they are on rails…thats what top notch suspension and good tyres can do!:smiley:

dont get me wrong i thought about an MT, but i soon dismissed it, Dan might have a go on one and think’ lordy! me i liek this’:smiley:

Cheers for comments guys , theres so many nice bikes out there , I saw a guy riding a ktm today and that looked nice what do you guys think about them??

63 I believe it makes. I think the only moto that comes near the 70 mark is the Aprilla SXV, which from what I hear needs very frequent rebuilds. And there’s obviously the 950SM.

As for KTMs, I can’t comment on what they’re like as I have never ridden one, but I’m sure they’re much faster and handle better than my bike for example, but bear in mind running costs. The XT has 6000 miles service intervals compared to 3000 miles of the “road” KTMs, and much much shorter for the race spec.
So I guess it depends what you use if for.

There’s only one way to find out what bike you want really and it’s to test ride them. You’ll fall in love with one or another and then it won’t matter how fast or slow or posh or working class it is because your will be the bestest bike there is :w00t: