Londonbikers bike maintenance day.

I’d like to volunteer my place (long way from most of you at J9 of the A1) but I have a huge public car park out the back for about 50 bikes, garage and power (and a kettle).

Good offer, thankyou… :smiley: How about it LB?

that sounds like a cracking idear and think the instructor shold get a drink for his/her trouble

i could use a few pointers

wot about the person who had idea in the first place? lol

i think it could work all round and maybe get some media coverag, mcn/bike mag etc thus if some1 does loan a workshop good publicity for them.

main ideas was rally so no1 gains financially and yes andrew i reckon your right on the liable thing even if the workshop is insured it should not be an issue and maybe just get something typed up so the person learning will/does not hold any1 accountable etc.

also main idea was a Londonbikers official thing thus giving londonbikers a good name and spotlight too.

could go onto that sort of thing but was more thinking of basic stuff, chain tightening/oil-air filter chaning/plugs/brake pads etc.

Absolutely agree with all points, and yes Mel without doubt cameras would be pointed at all and sundry. We could take Haynes on at their own game!

Sorry for having to point out the liability thing, it really sounds like sourgrapes but it has to be done.

Anyway, sounds like a plan and for the record I think Choprocker deserves at least a beer for said good idea.

My suggestion next would be that someone picks a subject. *
For example, removing wheels. *

Then, assemble the required equipment in the necessary quantities. * So two paddock stands per bike, decent set of spanners/socket sets/hand cleaner etc.*

Sounds like you might have a place, so then it’s getting that gear together and up there.

Those people who are going to be the guides could perhaps agree a technique beforehand so there’s no contradicting each other on the day.

Meet up, and off you go!

Simples :smiley:

I’d be interested in this, depends on where though. Central would be ideal as convenient for most to get into I would’ve thought. Also as long as I’m not working/parked next to Rob or Mel :smiley:

Just registering my interest for such an event.

Tools and such is a good point though, surely if there are 20 people, the organiser wont be providing 20 sets of equipment? Maybe a deal could be struck with an online supplier for those attending to buy the necessary tools if needed. There would be no point you coming and learning things if you don’t have the tools to do it when you get home after all…

i wouldnt mind bringing some tools/paddocks stand.

andrew, would you do the honour of sorting something out? i am good on ideas but not on organisng etc but will offer any help you may need

if not who could arrange it?

dont worry i dont need a beer, will be good just to meet up etc. :smiley:

if we do it at this dude’s workshop, perhaps he should meet with the instructors beforehand to persuade him they have the skills.

then a legal waiver when you roll up to say “if you do anything mechanical to your bike here, it’s your responsibility to have the work checked by a qualified mechanic post-event” (I’m not so good at legal speak but Andrew is spot on with his advice).

As far as tools are concerned, borrowing from a firm would be based on the media coverage that would happen I would think. More coverage = them more happy to do it

for the jobs you are talking about most of you have your own tools on the bike

If it was up near MG’s, North or central London I’m in

yeah thats a good point actually cos also some of the thing people want to learn would be maybe when your out and about in the middle of nowhere etc.most bike tool kits are there for that reason.i always add a few other bits to my bike tool kit anyway.

ahahaha ah right so now it’s my bag!!

LoL thanks but no thanks :slight_smile: I’ve got a trick up my sleeve which I want to keep quiet about for now. So someone else might want to get stuck into this wee project. Besides, it’s about time someone else stood up and organised something on here me thinks.

so c’mon, who’s game?

Good idea. If successful it could be expanded into weekend courses for more advanced topics, pre-mot checks, pre-touring checks, etc.

+1This is a great idea!

I would love to do this but as my bike is still under warranty would it cause problems

Great idea… in fact it’s so good that I have been working towards opening a workshop that offers exactly what you’d need for this idea… tools, benches, advice from a pro’, and based in central London … plus a cuppa tea! :slight_smile:
BUT …there is always a but, as Andrew has rightly said - insurance! its proving to be a problem; it’s possible but a slow process and as a result it’s holding up the whole venture. So a plea to any bikers who are in insurance for advice/help. The sooner I get this bit sorted the sooner I open.

I ran a survey last year and many of you took part; for those who missed it have a look and send me your comments.
www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.com

nice 1 m8 but as said if any1 takes this up then there could be some kind of consent form people can sign to not hold any1 liable etc, if dont sign then they cant do, lol

cant see why it should m8, its only maintenance.