London car free day 22nd September

Sadly I think it includes bikes too

It’s a Sunday and mostly just the City that’s closed so probably no great issue for most.

And electric vehicles. Guess it would be hard to police and confuse pedestrians.

Could be interesting heading down there for the that day. Doubt it would do much for pollution though.

Are parents really going to let their children play in the streets, how retro is that?

I read somewhere sometime back that if parents abandoned the school run and walked their children to school or allowed their children to walk themselves to school the city air pollution and the city motor traffic problem would be a thing of the past. There would also be a mini boom in the economy with the sale of outdoor coats that children no longer appear to possess, duffel coat anyone!

We never had these problems in the 60’s and 70’s.

1 Like

NT, I doubt that London air pollution disappears in the summer hols and although traffic is lighter, some of that is just because people go on holiday in July/August so they’re not driving to work.
I start work at 7:30am, so well before the school run and there’s plenty of traffic and pollution at that time.

I’m amazed how many people drive through London in rush hour, Putney high street is pretty much a car park in the morning with the closure of hammersmith bridge and yet it doesn’t seem to put them off.

1 Like

Maybe a slight exaggeration but TfL estimates the school run adds 250,000 vehicle movements to the roads every day. Eliminating that would certainly make an improvement.

Personally I think it should be illegal to drive a kid to school in a Range Rover.

When I commuted into London on a bike I always noticed when it was half term or school holidays.

1 Like

Maybe we should have some sort of extra tax on driving in central london, perhaps based on emissions? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’ll never catch on.