London bike insurance... help!

Its all in the numbers, when your salary is commission based you need to sell the high value premiums to achieve a living salary. The bottom line is 80% of nothing is nothing and 20% of £2000 is a nice little earner my son.

Although an insurer won’t have to pay out for the value of a bike stolen on TPO insurance, they will be liable for any damage caused by the thief to any other party. So if scrotey nicks a bike & loses control ploughing it into a passing Gareth Bale, your insurer is still liable for the resulting costs.

Thank you for all your comments and advice guys. I think i am going to look at a cheaper bike with just TPFT, still seems alot but will be good to start building up NCB.

And MCE seem to be consistently the cheapest option, although higher excess. - Has anyone had any experiance of actually making a claim with them?

Yes. My case was straightforward-ish although it wasn’t against another vehicle. It took a while to persuade them but with MCE the thing I noticed is that it just varies widely depending on who’s on the phone. I even had someone who told me I couldn’t claim against a third party that wasn’t a vehicle if the only thing I was claiming was damage to my vehicle.

It took about 5-6 months for me to get my money. That’s pretty quick judging by other people but then again I wasn’t claiming for complex things like injuries/ loss of income.

If I had, I probably wouldn’t have used their solicitors…

As mentioned you can buy excess insurance for a small fee usually. Sadly it’s the way of the world and the hurdles you have to go through to build up that NCD.

1 Like

Postcodes are where it’s at. I’m older than you, clean licence forever, never claimed on any bike or car policy going back decades, live in a concierged building with CCTV and very secure garage, we’ve never had an incident in that garage in the near three decades I’ve lived in this building (touch wood), but the postcode throws up red flags and unless I move out of London I think insurance will be the sad reason I might eventually give up biking. Every renewal is more difficult than the last.

I dream of having a large generous double garage, with modest house attached, somewhere in the shires. Space for motorbikes plural, cars and loads of bicycles.

But my other half’s work is close, our girl is in a very good school she walks to, years of local friendships and neighbours and embedding in our community, and we love London: it isn’t just a work thing for us we love everything about it: shops, galleries, museums, restaurants, crowds, the lot.

Of course Covid puts a different spin on it.

2 Likes

@Michael748 Postcodes are where its at. When we moved from Waltham Abbey to Walthamstow the Bonne’ insurance attracted an additional £400 premium and it only had 2 months to run. Every cloud has a silver lining just think of the hard earned you’re daughter is saving you by walking to school instead of doing the school run in a Chelsea tractor.

1 Like

I remember when I moved to Epsom (into a garage) from Angel (on a council estate) and suddenly insuring two bikes, one of which was a KTM SM, became cheaper than just insuring my GSR.

I soon fixed that through a number of bumps and scrapes (non of which my fault guv) and 3 penalty points courtesy of the Met…

2 Likes

dont know how up to date this is:

Indeed.

I do have an expensive car to run, though not a Chelsea Tractor, and minimal car use is one of the things I love about where we live. I use it very rarely. Friends who have just moved to Hemel Hempstead - typical suburban house, garden, garage - complain that they will have to become a two-car family because everything they do now requires a car.

Haha, mine is “refer”.

My friend’s move to Hemel puts them in D - requires a garage.

this is also a handy one as it shows you a 1 mile radius

Wow, I’ve just looked up the postcode of some friends who live in a small village in the middle of the Yorkshire moors and it still comes back as ‘D’ - requires a garage. This is mad. I think I’ll move to the Isle of Lewis.

yeah mine is D as well

Woop Woop apparently I’m a B. Probably the highest grade I ever got in my life…

1 Like

That’s because Hemel is a shithole…

I did try to tell them :rofl:

1 Like

We’re B

I am in F* on that list, yet have never been required to use a garage.

Best group to be in. A is just so fake and poser and up itself.