Loading Bike Trailer

wouldn’t that be a van?

1 Like

Towing anything heavy, let alone something un-aerodynamic like a box trail will heavily impact the range.

Mitigating factors:

• There’s 300 miles of range as standard, so even if you worst case that and halve it, that’s fine. I need a toilet/coffee break after that distance anyhow :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • You’re never far from a Supercharger with a Tesla, and they charge super quick so no bother
  • Can also charge at the circuit on their three phase plug sockets!

As for handling… no idea yet, but expecting it to be good. Max torque from zero RPM should make it feel like there’s nothing on the back :grinning:

The towing capacity of the Model 3 is 1600kg, which is enough for a box trailer with two bikes and all the gear.

I don’t know if range drops more when towing with electric or diesel. There was a lot of press about big range drops with EVs, but I think it’s probably fair to say it’s easier to notice the range drop on an EV compared to the MPG drop with an engine. I’d be surprised if there was any relative difference tbh.

My fuel economy doesn’t drop much with one bike on an open trailer.

I do sit at 55mph with cruise control either way though

Cruise control is a false economy as it uses more power to keep a constant speed when going uphill. What you should be doing is keeping to the same revs in the same gear throughout.

Don’t think cruise control is claimed to be an economy improver, just a fatigue reducer :slight_smile:

@Boris those conditions sound pretty optimal!
The range drops for EVs when towing have always been in relation to people towing boats and other massive things. So hopefully not a good comparison to make when towing bikes. Open trail or box :crazy_face:

If you were to take an existing trailer and simply mount a new body to it, then no it would not require an IVA prior to it being used on the road.

This is covered in paragraph 5 (Scope of the Regulations) of Part 1 of the Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2009.

1 Like