Hi All - sorry politics again
Lewisham Council has announced plans to bring in parking charges for motorcycles. We (MAG and Save London Motorcycling) are going to do everything we can to fight these proposals, but we need your help.
The main proposals are:
- Up to £125 per year for residents parking
- Up to £625 per year for a business pass
- NO daily/weekly pass available for commuters
You can let them know what you think by responding to the consultation here:https://consultation.lewisham.gov.uk/corporate-policy-and-governance/motorcycle-parking-charges/
The deadline is the 1st November.
If you are responding here are some points you may wish to make:
- The charges are too high and will price many motorcyclists out of working in the borough
- The fact that there is no daily pass will make commuting impossible for many who work in the borough
- The lack of daily pass also means you can’t visit the borough as a one-off visit
- Motorcycles take up far less space when parked and this is not reflected in the charges
- Motorcycles are part of the solution to climate change, air quality and congestion
- The charges are not proportionate based on the impact of motorcycles on climate change and air quality
Also in the section on Equality Impact in the survey you might want to mention that this impacts riders which mobility issues who may not be able to use public transport but are perfectly well able to ride.
We may not be able to prevent this entirely, but if we can at least get the charges reduced significantly that will be better than nothing.