Let me tell you a funny tale...

I thought this might prove interesting, or amusing, depending on your mood. It dates back to March earlier this year, when I owned a GSXR 750 K4. Here’s what I wrote at the time:

After riding the dirt bike all through winter, coming back to the sportsbike now that the weather is (supposidely) picking up means my friends and I are rusty on these heavier and faster machines, so we thought we’d take a nice ride through some countryside twisties, near Aylsebury.

I wore a new hoody over my leathers to keep me warm, and for some reason, broke my routine and put the alarm fob in the front pocket of this new top, which had two zips, filled up at a petrol station on the way, and we rode off. After fifty brilliant miles, we stopped off somewhere to have a chat and the like, and just as the alarm auto-armed, I had that sinking feeling that I couldn’t find my alarm fob. Of course, I’d put it in the outer pocket of this new top and had forgotten to do up one of the zips! The fob had been sucked out somewhere along the way. The bike is completely imobilised, with no way of removing it.

A lot of searching of the area, a very dissapointing call to the RAC who wouldn’t help me(!) and then another realisation that I didn’t have a spare fob to even go and get, as I’d lost it not too long ago whilst moving house, eek. More phoning around gets me the number of the only recovery company in the south east who can, and low and behold, it’s a 1.5hr waiting time and £180 fee. I nearly fainted at the cost, but what could I do!

This is by far the most expensive ride I have ever been on. Even touring to the continent, catching ferries, filling up and the like doesn’t come close to this cost! Unbelievable. Please learn from my mistake and always make sure you have a spare alarm fob, and that you don’t break your personal routine of managing bike essentials. Bugger, that’s blown out a few plans for the month, though thank-god I have two bikes.

Some pictures from the evening, not especially interesting admitedly, but they kinda show the theme of the night…

Bloody hell. That sounded costly Jay. So after that was it a case of calling the alarm company and requesting another fob?

No, Rod cut the alarm out for me, I’d had enough of it by then, it was piisssing me off!

Fair point, and although I always take duplicates of everything when going touring etc, I rarely bother for day trips.

So now I’ve said that…

Exatly, I do the same, but you don’t think to when you’re just going for a short ride, do you? I learnt a big day that lesson, never break your routine, and yes, always have backups! I normally always kept/do keep my fob on a cord around my neck. It was pretty funny at the time, but my mate Rod did me proud and helped me get home, and then get the alarm sorted.

I remember when you initially posted this…it’s “funny” now to look back on, but I must think it was INTENSELY irritating when it was happening.

I ride with my cell phone in my jacket pocket (I used to carry it in the trunk but I had one break back there due to the rough ride) and I ALWAYS think of this story when I’m out…I find myself checking and re-checking my left jacket pocket…before, during and after my ride…to ensure that damn cell phone is still there. LOL

I’m quite a paranoid person so I check everything about 2 or 3 times before I set off, it does pay sometimes

Lol its a good job I went and got a spare key and fob when I bought my CBR, damn cheswick honda only gave me one of each I still need to get the fob set up for my bike.

i Do exactly the same …or at least i used to until my Nokia 9500i got a drenching from a leaky pocket

never worked since and had to get a new phone …cost? …luckily due to insurances it was free but had i not had it covered would have cost me in excess of 400 squids to replace

lesson learnt

I remember the post, what a pain it must have been, have to say i am fairly paranoid about keys etc, always check 2 or 3 times Bloody hate alarms though!!

Thankfully on all the later type alarm systems you can disarm them via the ignition using a pin number. One of the alarm companies better ideas. Problem is most people don’t bother to do it!

I didn’t know the pin, or the procedure. Silly really!

Biggest problem with this sort of thing is that when people go to pick up their new toy the salesman generally tells them the bare minimum and sends them on their merry way! If anyone is not sure about pin numbers on alarms read on. Meta and Spyball systems come with pre-programmed disarm codes that are supplied with the alarm on cards. Datatool have been using customer programmed pin numbers since System 3 and the new Acumens also use this method. On the Meta code card it has two numbers. One is the disarm code and the other is a long hexdecimal number which is the transmitter master code. This number is very important because you can’t programme new remotes without it. The Spyball card just has a disarm code but, if you were to loose or not have the card and lost your only working remote then again the alarm would be scrap. The Datatool/Acumen pin system is quite different. These four digit numbers are programmed by the owner and can also be changed if required. But there is no default pin so if you have not programmed one in and you loose the fob, your stuck again! One other thing with Datatool/Acumen type pin. If you buy a secondhand bike and cannot find out what the number is, an engineer can erase the old number and reset the system so you can programme your own.

If you want more info, user guides for various systems are downloadable in PDF from this link.

http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/page5.html