Lean angles ...

Chunky must have turned the rimdar off :hehe:

Actually, that could be taken another way :w00t:

Is that rim tape - or just white rims… i know they are black spokes… but looks to me like white rims on em?

Dont take any notice, its an easy way to get a rise outa people, pick on their chicken strips!

I have them on my road bike, but then as PPG says, i just wont commit to that level on the road, a side from the obvious dangers a small incident with some diesel on a roundabout helped drive the fact home for me…

Aye, I think they’re just polished rims.
As for the strips - like the boys and girls said , it’s not an issue.
I found it ludicrously easy to get rid of the strips totally on an Avon Storm but a rounder profile tyre takes a bit more work and normal riding on normal roads won’t do it unless you’re exaggerating the lean all over the place

fair play fella. its usually the ones giving it the chat revealing more about their own riding than the people they’re criticising

the image isn’t all that clear but it ‘looks’ a bit like the rubber is a bit chewed up just above the untouched rubber?

reason i ask is it may be your bike’s suspension may benefit from being set up a bit better - the bike might be squatting a bit too much on acceleration/its not damping quick enough etc. and the back struggling for grip (which might also contribute to the ground clearance issues). if you haven’t had it done its well worth taking your bike to ‘B’ on here. Brian has set up a few of the LB’ers bikes including mine. my rear tyre doesn’t create much in the way of that kind of debris/wear even after trackdays (altho i’m not exactly super fast)

could just be that you’re giving it the berries on very cold tyres too of course;)

your all wossies!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

specialy terry!! :hehe:

No rim tape in this house…polished rims only;)

Yeah…the tyres are a bit chewed up but i’m putting that down to the weight of the bike and myself…but I don’t ride it hard every day so can live with it. The lack of ground clearance is an XJR thing and I’ll have to live with that too. …It’s not that bad for a big old bus…

1. Chicken fingers, or chicken tenders. A style of batter-fried chicken without skin or bones.
  2. (slang, motorcycling, humorous) The band of unscuffed tire surface at the outer edges of the contact surface.
  • "The harder you lean into corners, the more of the tyre you use. This means that a biker who rides hard will have an evenly-worn tyre. A biker who rides gently will not use the outer edges of the rubber resulting in a phenomenon known as ‘chicken strips’. These are very uncool and a beacon to those in the know that the rider is a novice."1
  • "At our first gas stop, I was thrilled to note that the “chicken strips,” those bands of virgin rubber found on the edges of most Midwestern riders’ rear tires, had been burned off the Yamaha’s 17-inch Bridgestone Battalax BT-20s. In other words, I was hitting some serious (for me) lean angles."2

the truth is people most riders (AND I DO MEAN MOST ) DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CORNER FAST AND WITH THE CORRECT BODY POSITION . eg left hander 1,pick apex and entry point all breaking done in a straight adjust body position slightly move your backside to the left (about 3") open your hips out to the left on tipping in, bend your left arm and allow your left shoulder and head to come down and forward so your face is in line but just to the left of your mirror (best to take them off ) your spine should be straight and your body low to the bike your weight should be on your left leg and you should feel that in your thigh you should have no real pressure on the bars unless you feel the need to counter steer (pull with your right hand )(remember its not about getting to the edge of your tyre its about getting round the corner the fastest safest way and that means keeping the bike as upright as poss withe the biggest tyre contact patch ) watch this mcn video or you tube u.s superbike school http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg3BMGe52M&feature=PlayList&p=BBB72249916C03FB&index=17

Hi deggse - do you mean to infer that you are in the minority (and particularly while riding an R1?)?

Errr… I think you’ll find most do know what to do, but on a normal day on public roads there’s no need to **** about clambering all over the bike.

if being in a minority means that i can corner correctly and on an r1 still the best bike ever built then yes mate count me in are you minority or majority ?

ERRR i think you will find that most dont just watch on the road on track days the twisted spine head still in the middle of the bike ass right off the seat knee pointing forward i see it all the time and that is most people coz they dont understand the correct cornering technique and just so i can gauge your own understanding of cornering techniques can you tell me what hip filck is and also what is the slowest speed that counter steering will work cheers mike

Looks like those old-timers were getting all wrong! How did we all cope before hanging-off and trying to get our knees down. And, as for those moto-crossers, they must be clueless…they stick their foot out ffs!!! Oh, and for the Police, they’d never keep up with you, would they!!! :w00t:

PMSL :smiley:

For me, the question is: what is the right way for that individual and in those circumstances. There are lots of different styles of riding on a bike (positioning of bike, knee, head, arms, head etc). There are also instances when cornering ‘fast’ is fine and when it is not. My corner speed is very highly moderated when riding on the road. I dont bumble round by any means, but if I am coming up against a corner that I cannot see around, or if there is a likelihood that a pedestrian will walk out on me or another vehicle (perhaps another bike) intersect with me, then I will reduce my speed and adapt.

I strongly believe that confident and assertive riding is important, particularly in London. However, there can be a fine line between confident and arrogant riding and I take a lot of care to fall on the former side of the fence. For me, ‘correct’ is particular to an individual (consider height, weight, type of bike, just to mention a few things).

Even the “experts” (who also publicly get it wrong from time to time) seem to have different opinions on the ‘correct’ way to get a couple of hundred kilos of metal round a corner:

But these guys are seriously skilled and not riding on the road. In fact, Rossi said in his book that he thinks road riding is far more dangerous than on track and he has some respect for road riders. He seems to see a difference in the riding too.So I can’t really answer your question on whether I corner ‘correctly’, but I don’t seem to do too badly :wink:

sorry to come in on a hijack the argument/thread, but i thought i could add some useful knowledge to prove im good at cornering:

YES! i know the answer… the hip flick is one of the most fundemental moves in eskimo rolling (http://www.kayakhelp.com/eskimo-rolling/the-hip-flick.php)

See, i knew i could corner well after taking that advanced kayaking course in the Lakes!

haha agreed, the xjr wasn’t designed with WSB in mind :wink:

your weight shouldn’t actually be that much of a factor if the sag and suspension is set up well (certainly for road riding at least). stiffer rear springs can do wonders too if you’re a ‘larger gentleman’, esp if you take a pillion. I’m sure B can explain it better than me but it the best £30 you can spend on a bike (think thats roughly what he charges). theres a lot of info on the net about DIY setup so you could probably improve things on your own.

good suspension settings and good tyres can transform the way a bike feels, especially when its banked over IMHO. anyway, just a suggestion