Lea Bridge Road

When travelling northbound on the Lea Bridge Road between Chatsworth Rd and the Ice Rink, I often see bikes of all persuasions being ridden up the bus lane. There is no signage to show that bikes can use the lane. Presumably there are no cameras there but in that case why don’t cars do it? East London drivers aren’t usually slow to bend the rules if they think they can get away with it. Can anybody shed some light on this? I’m mystified and sometimes wonder why I’m the only idiot trying to obey the rules of the road.

Hmm, good question, I know you can use the bus lanes leading up to that bit of road. I think.

Is it often enforced by one of them little parking eye type smart cars with camera on roof?

There’s a bus lane out in Dagenham that’s not marked for motorcycle usage. It goes up over a ridge crossing the tube line with a camera car parked at very end of it facing the traffic as they come back down the ridge. Their usual sneaky fashion, as you can’t see the camera car you come over the top of the ridge. On a bike with no front number plate, it’s can’t really catch you. Possibly a similar situation on the road you mention?

Otherwise, I’ve heard some boroughs do allow motorcycles in bus lanes, but haven’t had the money to replace all the sign-age yet. I think it was Bromley that claimed this - but don’t quote me on this one!

I’ve never seen any spy cars there and the view ahead is clear.

Check your v5c mine is clearly marked as a bicycle! Possible get out of jail free card?

Looking at Google Street view it is double yellows so not TFL controlled, and the signs at the beginning state Bus, Bicycle and Taxi. So use it at your own risk, and the V5C Bicycle is not a get out of jail card.

Remember a lot of buses have cameras on the front and back for lane enforcement.

Bus Lane Monday to Saturday from 7am to 7 pm enforced by bus lane cameras

As for pulling the ‘bicycle’ get out of jail card, think on.

It would have been funny if he had been tazed! :slight_smile: