KTMmartin's tour of the North

No, it hangs around my neck and I leave it in the mode I want, switched off. Then when I wish to take a photo I grab the body with my left hand, take the lens cover off and stick it in the tankbag, flick the power on with my thumb, frame the scene by guesstimate, and use my index finger to press the shutter button. If audio accompanied the photos there would be lots of swearing - the power button is very fiddly with winter gloves on, plus the wind etc.

That’s an amazing technique, Martin - I bet it took some practice to get it right!

There was a thread a while back about a guy in America who did something similar - his camera was in his tank bag and he wore no glove on his left hand. His photos were also amazing but he’s deleted them all now, sadly.

I don’t really know the eastern side of Scotland that much other than I got horribly drunk on whisky at a friend’s house in Portgordon in New Year 2000, we were in the car then and drove home through the Cairngorms (post-hangover) but the road was a dull one and the area didn’t compare well with the NW Highlands. Beyond Edinburgh, the A68 would be my choice to Newcastle then A19, possibly with a stopoff at Whitby (good fish and chips there).

I quite like the A15 through Lincolnshire. Not many corners, but it does go past some big airfields (including Scampton), if you like that kind of thing.

Here you goGrantown-on-Spey to the Scotland/England border via Braemar and the Cairngorms Pass, totally awesome Googlie Maps wotsitThe Yorkshire Dales, lunch at ‘The Chippy’ in Hawes, steaming tea at the Kirkby Lonsdale tea hut . Loop any which way you want around Hawes it’s all good Googlie Maps wotsit

Thanks Art!

Day off for email, catching up on work, and trying to clean the sensor on the camera.

Hawes loop - as far as i remember its :

Bedale - Layburn -Hawes - Ingleton - Skipton - Grassington - Ripon

Not a bad loop, I’d lose Bedale, Ingleton and Skipton in favour of Settle and Airton which is virtually the same but keeps off the A65 :wink:

From Leyburn extending the top of the loop to take in Reeth and Muker (local cheeses from the village store), you can take in the spectacular views across Buttertubs Pass which gets you back to Hawes. If that’s too big a loop from Grassington take the B6100 across The Dales to Aysgarth and then onto Leyburn, Muker etc.

When you’ve run out of time in and around Hawes head out West to Sedburgh and on to Kirkby Lonsdale for that steaming cup of tea.

Googlie Maps wotsit The problem with Hawes and The Yorkshire Dales is you’re spoilt for choice

Exploring south of Lerwick and getting the ferry to the Mainland

Arriving at Aberdeen and wanting to see a little of the Eastern side before heading down to Stirling via Aviemore, Balmoral, Braemar, Dundee, St Andrews and Perth.

The start of the journey back down - very depressing!

Over the Forth bridge into Edinburgh

Back into England

Cuppa at the Hartside Top Cafe

Before entering back into our green and pleasant land

End of the tour in sight, as I’m making my way down to join Zander in Wales.

Blat out of Hawes and off to the Transport Bridge

And to a very impressive hostel for the night in Ilam

FFS get back to work you’re pi55ing me right off now. :D:D (Note 2xSmileys for the super sensitive types)

glad you made it to hawes, been lucky with the weather by the looks of it, whenever ive been oop north the weather’s been in full flush mode

looks like a fantastic trip there Martin, I have enjoyed your write up and photos.

As requested, the journey info:

+1

Great stuff Martin, and thanks for posting. Inspiring.

Day 20: Ilam to Aberystwyth

I suppose the journey to Wales doesn’t really fit into a ‘tour of the North’ :slight_smile: though for the sake of completion, here it is.

I met up with Zander and co, and toured around Wales for the weekend.

The 990 was now due a service and certainly a new front tyre after this unplanned trip.

The End.

Great you could join us in Wales, Martin :slight_smile: You’ve got a lot more vicious on cornering your KTM after your UK tour!! No wonder the front tyre is well worn :slight_smile:

Blame Continental… their Trail Attack tyres are simply superb. This will be my third set.

Martin you are a very lucky man to get such fantastic weather on a journey like this. It looks like you had a great time, we might have to invite you on our next epic to ensure the same:)