KTMmartin's tour of the North

Nice post, your inspiring my future career as a biker! Can’t wait to just bugger off and do something similar myself :slight_smile:

Conrad, thanks I’ll take that Garelochhead to Arrochar road out of Glasgow, and perhaps take in Lochgoilhead if the weather will make a nice picture.

eezyrida, thanks I’ll have a look at Plockton as I plan to stop at Ratagan…

Art, thanks the current plan is now this: http://goo.gl/maps/zrc9Q

Quick Q - ride Applecross, or head over to Lewes and return at Ullapool?

<<very jealous :slight_smile:

From memory the road down into Ullapool is fun.

If island hopping is within the budget go for it

I’ve done Applecross twice, the first time with heavy rain and the second with high winds and neither occasion was too much fun. If the weather isn’t calm the road to Applecross is an endurance test, the big blue sign tells it all.

Martin, when you get to Ballachulish, don’t cross over the bridge. Instead take the loop round the top of Loch Leven to Kinlochleven - the B863 - adds on ten miles or so but you really won’t regret it. Epic road. After you leave Kinlochleven, look for signs to the Mamore Lodge, as you may be able to get up onto the Old Military Road across to Fort William. See Google Maps linky here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kinlochleven&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48892e109342f79b:0x1183d5ea9e7a1784,Kinlochleven,+Highland&gl=uk&ei=UgVwUYO6IKP17Ab43YDYCg&ved=0CNsBELYD

Cheers Stuart, I’ll add it to the list. Tomorrow looks like a clear and calm day (yes I said it!!) so I’ll be taking in all your suggestions thus far :slight_smile:

Going to take the following ferries, and I may have time before the Uig sailing to sneak in Applecross…

I am exceptionally jealous, Martin, and wish I was there also.

If you have time/the inclination to scramble up a mountain (without the bike of course) the Cuillins on Skye are pretty spectacular, a walk away from the Glenbrittle Youth Hostel. You shouldn’t get many midges at this time of year, unlike each time I’ve been there :crazy:

:sick: With jealousy

Today was an epic day - some of the best riding I’ve done in years. Every biker in the UK needs to pay this part of the world a visit. Here was the route http://goo.gl/maps/y6uuc

Conrad, that road was awesome. Excellent call.

eezyrida Plockton was a great shout

Art Applecross was superb.

Stuart, you are both awesome and insane. Great tip riding that loch road, but after a few miles of the military road some hikers (the only other people using the path) asked me if I was lost! At 15mph I didn’t have the time to see it through :frowning:

Other than the cold, it was perfect weather. The extra day waiting in Glasgow paid off.

View from the hostel

that looks fantastic. well jealous.

Awesome!

25 years ago I did that route on a bicycle…it took the best part of a week. :slight_smile:

Still long to go back there and after seeing this it is going to have to be on the bike.

Martin you git.

fantastic… :slight_smile:

Great to see the sun finally came out.

THe photo offering two routes to Applecross…I felt like singing “I’ll take the high road…” :slight_smile:

Martin, u are wetting my appetite :slight_smile:

Great stuff Martin

Roll on June

When it’s time to head South

Here’s two nice routesGrantown-on-Spey to the Scotland/England border Googlie Maps wotsitThe Yorkshire Dales lunch at ‘The Chippy’ in Hawes and steaming tea at the Kirkby Lonsdale tea hut Googlie Maps wotsit

ohhh the yorkshire dales…hopefully will see some of that soon :slight_smile:

You have to do the Hawes loop :smiley: